The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate this questions but people usually ask it. How do you guys do it without telling them, and not going straight out saying, I don't want to tell you! :shrug:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I tell them to go to LotusTalk.com and use the search function!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I really hate this questions but people usually ask it. How do you guys do it without telling them, and not going straight out saying, I don't want to tell you!
I tell them what is costs :shrug: What's the big secret? It's just a Lotus, not a Lambo.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I really hate this questions but people usually ask it. How do you guys do it without telling them, and not going straight out saying, I don't want to tell you! :shrug:
I've taken to telling them that either it's a company car or my girlfriend bought it for me.

I don't care if anyone knows, but do consider the question incredibly rude.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Almost everyone asks me this! I HATE it!!! Whatever happened to common courtesy? :shrug:

I just tell people, "It cost A LOT."

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
It is a rude question, more than a dollar and less than a million.

Oh not to mention if you tell them those who ask seem disapointed.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I tell them that I just carjacked it from a guy up the street and if they don't shut the hell up I may just downgrade.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
It's not a secret, it's just a rude question to ask..
Yes I agree to some extent, but some may also consider it a form of a flattery. Any way you look at it, the person asking is possibly of limited means and is asking out of curiosity more than anything. When you own an uncommon car, it comes with the territory. Cheers.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can tell them "about the same or less than a new pickup." I was window shopping at a local Ford dealership last week while my F250 was being serviced and saw several new super duty trucks in the $52 - 59,000 price range!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
"Well, ah...well, actually, my _____ (wife, husband, "life partner") bought it for me. So, I'm not sure. Must be a lot, huh?"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Gee, it's amazing that this subject hasn't come up before. Imagine if there was a large thread already dedicated to it...

Seriously, this all belongs in the other thread - why start another?

Try: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9101
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
This question And How fast it? Are the most common questions im asked.

I tell them around 70k

And its limited to around 150mph.

Most common response.

"dayum dude That **** is hot" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yes I agree to some extent, but some may also consider it a form of a flattery. Any way you look at it, the person asking is possibly of limited means and is asking out of curiosity more than anything. When you own an uncommon car, it comes with the territory. Cheers.
So true!
I've found it really just depends on who's doing the asking, as well as how's it's being asked.
as there's a bit of a different between having a snooty friends ask me "how much did you pay for it"
and a random acquaintance who's unfamiliar with the Elise asking "was it expensive?" or "how much do those go for?"

I try to keep the snotty friends guessing of course
- but I'll often play the modest-game with coworkers/employers or people who are sincerely wondering how much they cost, when they ask, so they know that I only paid $35k for a used Lotus. And to show them that I'm not trying to be flashy.etc. It's cases like that where I don't find it rude at all when they ask.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I figure that the cost of a car is about as private as the cost of a home or even the property taxes of said home - all of them could be looked up online.

What I do is make them guess first. I hear $100K more often than not.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts