The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should I expect for my insurance??

23, Male, 1 accident (100% not my fault) history on 12/6/2003
No ticket.
Zipcode 91325 (Northridge, CA)

Any guess??

Those who already got your Elise, How much do you pay for your insurance??

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I would say easily $5000.00 a year.
no way! $400/month? shoot i'd get bare-bones minimum, super basic, enough-to-keep-my-license coverage. that's barely over 100 a month with at fault accident and 1 ticket i believe.

21st century.

insurance can eat my poop, as well as traffic cops (including intersection cameras) and turtle drivers.

anyone selling a monkey who can throw is own crap? I plan on riding around town in a truck with the monkey chillin' @ the back throwin' his sh*t at all the cameras.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
This is completely off topic, but on my way home from work yesterday, I saw one of our local "cops" standing on the side of his house with his daughter and wife watering his flowers. The funny part was that he was wearing a bullet proof vest, his "I'm a badass cop" glasses, and his badge :p

I'm pretty sure the worst "crime" that the cops near me are faced with is some kid stealing a pack of gum at the gas station. That must be why we have more cops per square mile than the city of Chicago :p

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I hope Im wrong but Im betting for a 23 year old it's gonna be steep. You have to get full coverage on the car so not much to go bare minimum on. If you pay cash for the car you can skip comprehensive..but man you have to have some big-ones to try that. I'm 35 in NJ and Allstate wanted $3300.00 and I'm clean. So as you can see I dont think that 5K for a 23 year old is so far off.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know there are other USAA members on here who probably have gotten quotes. For my wife and I, the increase USAA tentatively quoted for adding an Elise was $44/month for full coverage with $500 deductables.

We have 2 cars already on the policy, are in our early 30s and have no tickets or accidents in the last 5+ years *knock on wood*.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OTHER Insurance Companies in Southern California?

Dear All:
In anticipation of the arrival of my Elise, I contacted my insurance carrier. They provided the ridiculous sum of $3600 a year for bare bones minimum coverage with a $500 deductible. And this was allegedly a discount rate with my other vehicle currently insured with them.
I'm 35 with a history of minimal moving violations.
Someone please help.
- dechien

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Insurance companies are scam operations, and unfortunately state laws requiring insurance help to make it less likely that they will ever stop ripping you off. Insurance agents/companies have always struck me as being worse than the "have you been injured at work?" lawyers that have commercial spots on late night TV.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I hope Im wrong but Im betting for a 23 year old it's gonna be steep. You have to get full coverage on the car so not much to go bare minimum on. If you pay cash for the car you can skip comprehensive..but man you have to have some big-ones to try that. I'm 35 in NJ and Allstate wanted $3300.00 and I'm clean. So as you can see I dont think that 5K for a 23 year old is so far off.
Well, you live in NJ and that's the worse state for auto insurance. A 23 year old in NJ might pay that much (although I doubt it).

$3300 a year is way to high even for NJ, you probably have several cars on that policy.

http://info.insure.com/auto/rates.html

·
Registered
98 Posts
i got a qoute from state farm for $70/month. i'm 35 y.o. married and no current record and been accident free for 5 years. my friend got a qoute for his subaru sti for $180/month, he's 23y.o. no accident, no tickets.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Let's not forget that insurance quotes will vary greatly state from state as well as city. Insurance for us is higher in the Seattle area than say, Spokane.

I got a quote with Progressive of 1700/6 months with 1000 deductible - clean record, unmarried 30 years old. My agent did tell me that with no previous data to use it is currently being classifed in group 21 or 22. That I believe is the highest risk the insurance companies use.

Edit - I meant 1000/6 months - about 170 per month.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm 31, single, perfect record, living in Los Angeles.

AAA quoted me about $4,500 to insure as my only car, driving 15k miles per year. This is for 100/300/100 coverage plus uninsured motorist coverage, rental, etc. They also said I'd have to bring the car in to be checked out before they would even agree to insure it at all. The lady I spoke with mentioned they had the Elise classed in a special category reserved for other exotics.

I think anyone living in Cali that is under 40 and single is going to be paying quite a bit to insure this car, unless you are lucky enough to be able to use USAA.

Heh, it doesn't help my situation that my current car is listed as one of the most expensive to insure for cars costing under $40,000. Do I have all the luck or what!?

I'm going to keep the car I have now, so that # will definitely go down, depending on what % of driving I decide to do in each car. The practical side of me says to keep the Elise under 5k miles/year and lower insurance to $2600/year. However, reading what everyone else is saying about their prior car accumulating lots of dust because they can't bear to *not* drive the Elise every day, I know I'm going to be having an internal fight on my hands. :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I got my actual bill for insurance yesterday. It is $410/six months, 250 deduct on comprehensive, 500 on collision. I'm a 40 YO male with three other cars on the policy. As the 4th car on the policy, this is half of what I'm paying for my 2003 Spyder, and less than for my son's 1994 Mustang GT.

me very happy!!

:clap:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great News!

Surferjer said:
I got my actual bill for insurance yesterday. It is $410/six months, 250 deduct on comprehensive, 500 on collision. I'm a 40 YO male with three other cars on the policy. As the 4th car on the policy, this is half of what I'm paying for my 2003 Spyder, and less than for my son's 1994 Mustang GT.

me very happy!!

:clap:
Great news! I hope I get a similar quote. Which insurance company do you have?

BTW - I got a look at the demo at Rothrock. If that's what yours looks like then you are one lucky man!

-Erik

·
Registered
479 Posts
erikm3 said:
United States Automobile Association

www.usaa.com
I think it is actually United Services Automobile Association...not that it matters much. USAA is a family of buisnesses that now include banking, insurance, some buying services, etc. that are member owned. You can only become a member of USAA if you are in the military or a parent or spouse is a member (hence the "United Services" part of the name).

1 - 20 of 72 Posts