The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Very nice car. Looks very well sorted and clean.

Dealerships are charging high $30k's for 2005 Elise's with low miles. With all of these add-ons, etc, I'd put it up for sale for at least $40k. The only downside is the miles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice car. Looks very well sorted and clean.

Dealerships are charging high $30k's for 2005 Elise's with low miles. With all of these add-ons, etc, I'd put it up for sale for at least $40k. The only downside is the miles.

I agree with you re miles. This is not a stock low mileage car as much as it looks like new...I would argue it's better in many ways (but appreciate the notion of less miles wear the car less), and proven since it does have miles but runs tight and strong, doesn't burn oil, compression was checked also and looks good. Much appreciate your feedback!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd say try for 40 and expect mid-to-high 30s, or price mid 30s for an instant sale. It's clearly taken care of, the mods are desirable, and it looks beautiful, but the "never tracked low miles" premium is crazy lately with these cars. On the flip side we're coming into prime buying season and prices are definitely up this year.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Please don't be mad at me. But I think the mods counter balance the high miles, the track days, the replacement of the clutch which indicates the car has been used enthusiastically.

The Super Charger adds about 2K over the normal selling prices of Elises these days which is 28-32K for low mileage stock cars. That is what cars are really selling for. You see lots of ads for more, but those cars are not selling for that as far as I can see.

31-34K if you find someone that wants your mods being the motivating factor where in the that range you sell it for.

·
Registered
663 Posts
As with any car sale, how quickly do you want to sell it? The fact that you have good documentation and have done tasteful, quality mods will help a lot if trying to get more of a premium... I think the $31-34k that tvacc suggested would be accurate if you're trying to sell the car in less than a month or so. If you have the time to wait around, you can always ask more. Personally, from looking at the market, I think you would be able to possibly get around the $37/$38k mark if you're willing to wait for the right buyer. I don't think that price will come overnight, but you never know. We are still in a pretty prime selling time for the cars, so the longer you wait, the more it'll drop. Come fall, I think you'd be lucky to get $34k for it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say try for 40 and expect mid-to-high 30s, or price mid 30s for an instant sale. It's clearly taken care of, the mods are desirable, and it looks beautiful, but the "never tracked low miles" premium is crazy lately with these cars. On the flip side we're coming into prime buying season and prices are definitely up this year.

Great feedback, thank you! I think that just north of $40k should be a fair price for someone who appreciates the condition and all the upgrades, with all removables excluded, and offering about 30% discount for any removables that buyer is interested in if they meet the asking price. I am also thinking about posting on autotrader to reach broader audiences.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As with any car sale, how quickly do you want to sell it? The fact that you have good documentation and have done tasteful, quality mods will help a lot if trying to get more of a premium... I think the $31-34k that tvacc suggested would be accurate if you're trying to sell the car in less than a month or so. If you have the time to wait around, you can always ask more. Personally, from looking at the market, I think you would be able to possibly get around the $37/$38k mark if you're willing to wait for the right buyer. I don't think that price will come overnight, but you never know. We are still in a pretty prime selling time for the cars, so the longer you wait, the more it'll drop. Come fall, I think you'd be lucky to get $34k for it.

Thank you! I don't need to sell it quickly and I don't want to give away most of what I put into it. Having said that, I will be realistic with the asking price...I understand that it will take the right buyer to avoid almost complete loss on upgrades. I hope that whoever appreciates the upgrades and gets to experience this car will very likely be willing to pay the premium, still very deeply discounted from original cost. What would be a fair price for a well maintained 61k mi 2005 Elise SC (MP45) with no upgrades from stock?

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
The Super Charger adds about 2K over the normal selling prices of Elises these days which is 28-32K for low mileage stock cars. That is what cars are really selling for. You see lots of ads for more, but those cars are not selling for that as far as I can see.

31-34K if you find someone that wants your mods being the motivating factor where in the that range you sell it for.
Definitely agree here. Not sure why so many 2005's recently are listed in the higher 30's. They definitely aren't selling for that. I would think you will actually end up getting $30k-$32k realistically.

You could always part out some of the easier things to take off the car to try to make some of the money back.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Yes, I apologize for not putting in that my price was for you wanting to sell the car right away. If you can wait, and you get that person that your mods hit all their buttons, then you will get more obviously.

Whenever I answer the question you asked I always look at it as what the price is for a car set to sell, to move it. While I realize a car will sell more if you find someone that wants the mods.

When I sold my Caterham back in 2004 (to buy the Elise but have since bought it back) Caterhams like mine were selling for 21-24K. But my car had two fuel cells, full roll cage, two sets of tires, spare motor, etc etc. I knew I had to find a guy that wanted my mods. I did and sold the car for 26.5. But I started selling the car in October, finally sold it in early Spring. I had to wait.

You may have to wait as well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please don't be mad at me. But I think the mods counter balance the high miles, the track days, the replacement of the clutch which indicates the car has been used enthusiastically.

I am not mad at you at all :). Thanks for your feedback!

Price is what someone is willing to pay and I will consider what the market is telling me.

Clutch that came out looked great, I decided to replace it only because stock part is inexpensive and we were replacing synchros (only one was somewhat worn, I think related to 5th to 4th gear, but I had all replaced since they are inexpensive and labor the same once trans is out), and I didn't know what shape it was in when I bought it but it didn't make noises or slip. Car was probably babied by previous owners based on condition when I bought it and feedback from my mechanic. I just wanted to bring it as close to original glory as possible...and planned on keeping it for a long time...

This car saw gently driven track days, but it did see them, and I hope it will be bought by someone who will take it to track...that's where it belongs, while it is also street-friendly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've seen this car in person, and it definitely is true to the condition specified...GLWS!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely agree here. Not sure why so many 2005's recently are listed in the higher 30's. They definitely aren't selling for that. I would think you will actually end up getting $30k-$32k realistically.

You could always part out some of the easier things to take off the car to try to make some of the money back.

Thank you. I thought about parting out but will stick with items I listed as removable and keep everything else on the car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts