The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. Hoping to ask a few questions and learn a bit.

I've read everything I can about the car, looks good, right performance, etc. But I have a question: Does that trunk hold enough for a weekend getaway for two?

We travel relatively light, but it would still be great to be able to take the wife away for the weekend in the car. (In fact, it would be, IMHO, sort of a tragedy if we couldn't...)

Thoughts from those of you lucky and patient enough to have the car already?

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Yes no problem...there is something like 4-5 cubic feet of space plus some room for flat stuff on the shelf behind the seats.

I was just away for the weekend with my son and had one soft duffel bag, two bags of car detailing goop and tools and test equipment, my racing helmet, computer in it's bag, lots of camera stuff and lenses in two dedicated bags, books and so forth.

For this car, two soft pieces of medium sized baggage will fit just fine with room for odds and ends. But you can't buy lots of stuff on your trip and take it back with you...but the store can ship it back home...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The car has plenty of room for two if you pack light. As Stan noted, the only problem is if you wish to purchase anything on your trip and bring it back. My wife and I like wine, and quickly discovered that the Elise is ill-suited for wine tasting excursions as the only space we could stash the wine is on the small shelf behind the seats. This greatly limited how much we could buy!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Wish,
You can carry a lot in the trunk, highly recommend two or three different size soft bags (soft bags is key here) you can really load it down
Chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
And there's room in the passenger footwell -- you can toss a duffle bag over the passenger footrest, with little impact on his/her comfort.

·
Registered
409 Posts
pinmagic said:
And there's room in the passenger footwell -- you can toss a duffle bag over the passenger footrest, with little impact on his/her comfort.
I remember a 100mph ride in the UK with Chinese takeaway between my legs...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Note though that if you store the softop in the boot, you will lose about half the volume. Still should be able to fit two duffle bags no problem. I think another duffle bag and some soft items like two jackets will fit fine behind the seats. Be careful about anything dropping to the floor behind the seats though because they might contact the seat rail on the driver side and get grease on the item.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info -- great help. The driver's seat rail is an interesting point, esp. for me -- I'm a relatively compact 5'7" and tend to sit close to the wheel (thank Evolution for that help) so that will give me extra space for other things.

So many questions -- but mostly for the other forums...

Frank

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
wishiwerefaster said:
Thanks for all the info -- great help. The driver's seat rail is an interesting point, esp. for me -- I'm a relatively compact 5'7" and tend to sit close to the wheel (thank Evolution for that help) so that will give me extra space for other things.

So many questions -- but mostly for the other forums...

Frank
Frank, I also sit close to the wheel and I might be 1/2" taller than you.

You also will want to be able to slide your seat back to get in and out.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
One other point hinted at but not made clear. The Elise's boot is pretty large, but the opening into the boot is relatively small. That's why soft sided luggage (duffel bags) is preferred.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
And the boot is not square. It is like stuffing a turkey when you pack for a long trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts