The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have the same power.

The difference I see between Elise SC and Exige S is that Exige S has better suspension and aerodynamics.

I know for certain cars , suspension makes a huge difference. Is this the case in these two cars?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There are a variety of aftermarket suspension solutions for both the Elise and Exige.

It boils down to the Exige's additional downforce.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
In 07 there was a large difference between the Elise and Exige. (30 bhp)
In 08 there is still a large difference, because the Exige 240S keeps a power advantage of 20 bhp. And then there's the aerodynamics.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
What do you mean, how much of a difference...

At the track, as long as you have a sport suspension, there pretty much is none. Its all driver.

Most people here won't believe it but the difference is about looks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What do you mean, how much of a difference...

At the track, as long as you have a sport suspension, there pretty much is none. Its all driver.

Most people here won't believe it but the difference is about looks.
I think Manly pretty much proved that...kicks all our asses every track day with basicly a stock Elise.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'll admit, people tell me you should have gotten the Exige. Its faster....

You just kinda nod your head to them. No point in arguing.

I will say the Exige looks meaner.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I have an 06 Exige (190 HP) and there are a few spots where I can go into a corner faster than an Elise (190 HP) because the car is more stable. Just a few. I've had guys who drive their Elise's on the ragged edge drive my car and the extra stability was mentioned. On a two minute track the extra down force (assuming the course has corners where you can use it) might give you an extra .2 to .4 seconds. Maybe.

+1 on the Exige looking meaner, especially in black!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Definitely. The Exige is just an Elise with a body kit. Anyone who says otherwise is either a serious, hardcore track junkie or just full of it.

And is the OP referring to the '08 Exige S or the '07s? Big difference there as well.
Actually, Exige S220 is available for '08...only problem is, not many dealers ordered this due to S240...

If deciding between Elise S/C and Exige S240-Huge difference.

If deciding between Elise S/C and Exige S220-Not much at all.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
But is the Exige noticeably slower in the straights due to the extra weight and less slippery aerodynamics?
Compared to an Elise with a soft top or no top, the Exige is FASTER in the straights due to better aerodynamics. (Fact confirmed by data analysis.) When compared to an Elise with a hard top it really depends on the speed that you get to on the straight. We'd have to look at the data to confirm (we've sort of done this ad-hoq in the past) but unless you are at 120+ for an extended period of time, the Exige will be just as fast as the Elise. (Take that as an educated guess, not fact). There are very few tracks were an NA Elise or Exige will be at 120+ for an extended period of time. (Take that as fact!)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Definitely. The Exige is just an Elise with a body kit. Anyone who says otherwise is either a serious, hardcore track junkie or just full of it.

And is the OP referring to the '08 Exige S or the '07s? Big difference there as well.
By body kit, I assume you mean a completed different body.. :) The only body parts shared are the doors.

But is the Exige noticeably slower in the straights due to the extra weight and less slippery aerodynamics?
I would not necessarily agree the Elise is more aerodynamic. The Exige has an advantage with the fastback design. The Elise creates a lot of turbulence around the rear window that can mess with aerodynamics quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts