The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I noticed that there was more "play" in the trunk of my 05 Elise when it's close. If I push down on the locked trunk it goes down about 1/4 inch, maybe 1/2 inch. Once released it returns to a position that is above being flush the with body of the car. Not something I have paid attention to in the past, but it feels off a bit. Recall that I had my car repaired a few weeks ago where the rear clam was off for some body work. Maybe this has caused an issue with the trunk. Is there a way I can adjust my trunk so that it's more flush with the car and has less play when closed? Or should it go back to the body shop? The body shop is quite far from my house and I'd like to try to adjust this myself if at all possible.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
215 Posts
Make sure you have all 4 bumper stops. Mine was missing one when I first got the car and it was doing something similar. Luckily I found it in the cabin on the floor the first time I vacuumed?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the great advice. I'll check that later today after the sun is up. Hopefully it's that simple of a fix.

Your reply is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another thing to check is the attachment of the latch mechanism to the engine cover lid. this is an adhesive bond, and mine was free on one side when things started feeling loose. i fixed it with epoxy glue and it had stayed put her since.
Another good suggestion. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
There's a fair amount of adjustment in the lid latch. You unsnap the front boot carpet, and loosen the bolts that hold the latch bar to the front bulkhead of the boot. The latch holds the lid down to a certain height. The amount of up pressure is determined by the boot seal pushing upward on the lid (which also keeps water out of the boot) and the four scraps of boot seal material by the engine that act as bumpers. If you have problems with water in the boot, a common fix is to stick a foot or so of string trimmer line in the bead at the front joint of the boot seal where the joint is. This makes the seal stiffer and provides more push up from the seal on the lid. I've got mine adjusted so you can drop the lid from a foot or two and it'll latch closed. If you let the lid down gently, a push of the hand on the stiffener behind the key latch snaps it shut. Boot is dry and latch height looks correct after only an hour or so of fidgeting with the latch and seal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a fair amount of adjustment in the lid latch. You unsnap the front boot carpet, and loosen the bolts that hold the latch bar to the front bulkhead of the boot. The latch holds the lid down to a certain height. The amount of up pressure is determined by the boot seal pushing upward on the lid (which also keeps water out of the boot) and the four scraps of boot seal material by the engine that act as bumpers. If you have problems with water in the boot, a common fix is to stick a foot or so of string trimmer line in the bead at the front joint of the boot seal where the joint is. This makes the seal stiffer and provides more push up from the seal on the lid. I've got mine adjusted so you can drop the lid from a foot or two and it'll latch closed. If you let the lid down gently, a push of the hand on the stiffener behind the key latch snaps it shut. Boot is dry and latch height looks correct after only an hour or so of fidgeting with the latch and seal.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I'll keep this in mind when I have a look at my car in daylight.

I found a photo of my engine bay from the listing of the car when I bought it. It looks like there are only 3 of the hood bumpers in the car at that time. Today there might be even less. I don't recall there being as much play in the hood before my car was repaired. Perhaps something changed during the repair job. I'll have a look at the car at lunch time.

I can't drop the hood the way you can because the previous owner installed a support for the hood that does not detach the way the manual hood support can. See the photo below.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I looked at my trunk at lunch this morning and it appears unchanged from the photo above. I dont have 4 bumper stops, only 3. However it's always been like that so there are a few possibilities on what's going on here.

• It's always been like that and just today I'm sensitive to the play in the trunk.
  • The latch bar height has changed slightly with the clam being removed and replaced during the recent repair.
  • The latch catch is having some issue (forgot to look at that during lunch).
I hope to meet up with some Lotus owners this weekend at the group meet at Lotus USA HQ in Michigan, if the weather holds and if there are some Elise owners in the crowd they can provide a more knowledgeable appraisal of my hood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine has a little bit of play as well and it's the same thing, missing the passenger side bumper stop. I plan on getting a replacement this winter. Funny enough, I was looking at someone else's Lotus at a recent cars and coffee and they were missing the same bumper, seems to be a recurring theme.
Also I was thinking of going to the Lotus USA HQ meet as well that you mentioned since I'm local to that area, but the weather isn't looking like it's going to hold out this weekend sadly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine has a little bit of play as well and it's the same thing, missing the passenger side bumper stop. I plan on getting a replacement this winter. Funny enough, I was looking at someone else's Lotus at a recent cars and coffee and they were missing the same bumper, seems to be a recurring theme.
Also I was thinking of going to the Lotus USA HQ meet as well that you mentioned since I'm local to that area, but the weather isn't looking like it's going to hold out this weekend sadly.
I see no rain in the forecast up to 1pm on Saturday. Tomorrow that forecast will cover most of the day so we can see when rain is expected to come. We may be lucky and find that it's only going to rain Saturday evening. I'm not sure how long these meet ups are supposed to last as I've never been to one. I really hope this one can happen. Last chance before the cars get parked for the winter! Think positive thoughts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m going so you can look how mine fits (Which isn’t very flush).
ken

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the rain is forecast to start at 2pm tomorrow. With the meet up scheduled to start at 10 am, I would think that this gives us enough time to enjoy some Lotus cars.
I’m going so you can look how mine fits (Which isn’t very flush).
ken
Great....barring any rain, I'll be there in my Artic Silver Elise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts