The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hard wire a TomTom GPS and an Ipod off of the stereo's power line. Is this too much juice to wire off of this line? Also, is this power line hot when the car is off or will it continue to power the devices and drain the battery. If anyone knows of a better place to tap into without ripping the entire dash off please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in the elise as I don't have mine, but I assume it is the same as other cars, since you need one "constant on" 12 volt supply for the radio to remember the time & your settings, and one accessory line that turns the radio on when the car come on. Make sure you use the accessory line so that your GPS and Ipod aren't draining power when the car is off.

Although I don't know the power requirements of your GPS or Ipod, or the load capacity of your accessory wire, you should have no problems since those wires can usually handle a lot more than the drain placed on them by just the stereo. Worst case scenario, you will blow a fuse if it is drawing too much power, then you'll have to find a different power source, but I'd be really surprised if you blow a fuse.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. I would have run the connection on the 12v line instead of the accessory line and that would have really "sucked"! I am going to just go ahead and do it and if I blow the car up it would still have been worth it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
plesset said:
Thanks a lot. I would have run the connection on the 12v line instead of the accessory line and that would have really "sucked"! I am going to just go ahead and do it and if I blow the car up it would still have been worth it.

So where did you end up running the 12v from? Are you using the stock head unit? If so would the ignition power wire be the one to tap into?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The radio line is hooked up to a 7.5 amp fuse. There should be plenty of juice for those items. The radio actuall pulls very little amperage from that line. It is stricktly used as a switch for a relay inside the radio for turning it on and off. It turns on as soon as the key is in the accessory position and turns off when the key is removed from the ignition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts