The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an oil/filter change on my 2011 at a Lotus dealer in Winston-Salem. Cost came to $244. I don't want to get cheap on service but this seems a little high. If it's the norm, then I will live with it.

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
Fairly cost about $100 with brand name synthetic oil in an independent autoshop. $150 is top and they make so much profit already. Oil Chg takes about 30 min. Oil cost about $40. $50 top. Filter $5-6. That means they charge you $200/hour. Maybe all their tech is lawyers :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The breakdown they gave me was:

Labor $75
Filter $43
Oil 5W40 $108
Supplies $9
Tax $11

Maybe I'll take it to a Toyota dealer next.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
I was quoted $215 here in Los Angeles from Galpin. Includes tire/brake inspection etc. So it's not too far off.

Lotus evora OEM filter A132E6399S lists for $40 or so.

The $9 supplies might be oil disposal fee. Just a guess.

Next time negotiate with your SA. He/she might work out a discount for you.

·
Registered
877 Posts
oil change cost

The mandatory 1K mile oil change was $172 at the dealer.

An oil change requires 6 quarts oil.

Autozone and others are charging $9-to-$10 a quart for Castrol Syntec - anywhere from $54-to-$60 for an oil change.

Paid $6.25 for oil filters at Toyota.

Oil change ≈ $60-to-$66 for parts.

Currently Autozone and others are having a sale - ≈$33 for 5 quart container including an oil filter.

Taking advantage of the sale - parts ≈$40 to do your own oil change.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I was quoted $215 here in Los Angeles from Galpin. Includes tire/brake inspection etc. So it's not too far off.

Lotus evora OEM filter A132E6399S lists for $40 or so.

The $9 supplies might be oil disposal fee. Just a guess.

+1, I had this done at Galpin a few weeks ago for the same $.
Ron

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
DIY............nothing to it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't usually pay to have work done so it really opens my eyes when I see costs like this. Almost angering that a shop can price gouge that bad and still think it's ok, not to mention have customers.

Sure the car isn't a $12k econo-box, but an oil change is an oil change.

I'd expect a $200-250 oil change for a class 8 truck that has 5-6 gallons of oil and a couple filters.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Agreed, DIY seems like the way to go. and every single person... EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have talked to recommended Royal Purple.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Harix has done my changes a couple of times and I felt his price was very reasonable and he always took great care of my car.

The last couple of changes I did myself (but I wouldn't hesitate to take it A1 Auto in San Gabriel if you don't like getting your hands dirty, at least for anyone around here).

My dealership charged $350 for the first oil change. It was comp'd but that was what was billed.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The breakdown they gave me was:

Labor $75
Filter $43
Oil 5W40 $108
Supplies $9
Tax $11

Maybe I'll take it to a Toyota dealer next.
Wow, that's a lot for oil. Edit: That's a lot for the filter, too. Ask if you can supply your own parts.

Agreed, DIY seems like the way to go. and every single person... EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have talked to recommended Royal Purple.
And what have the married folks said? -poke-

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
St.Louis MotorSports quoted me $400. Went out adn picked up a set of race ramps for $200 and oil and filters, now I'm still $150 up doing a DIY

·
Registered
280 Posts
DIY. It's easy and cost me about $60 for full synthetic

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
DIY-it is like a big elise and takes less than an hour...

52 for 8 quarts of mobil-1 Turbo diesel truck 5w40 (exceeds Lotus specifications and is loaded with all important ZDDP) AND you have 2 quarts extra..it takes a little over 6
4 dollars for a filter cartridge kit on Amazon (Toyota OEM-the exact same thing as the Lotus part)
16 dollars the first time you do it because you have to buy the tool
2 bucks for a 2 pack of drain plug gaskets, or buy them in bulk on amazon

1 hour of your time, 74 bucks the first time, 58 after that (even less as you build up oil)...easy peasy...Royal Purple and a few other high end oils obviously raise the price, but the TDT has similar specs for a LOT less.

·
Registered
102 Posts
$254 at a local dealer in Miami for the 1000 mile service.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
134 Posts
royal purple

NO offense to anyone here but NO ONE can certify that Royal Purple is ANY better then any other synthetic that you can buy out there UNLESS your getting the stuff they bring in Barrels to the track!

I know someone who raced BMW's for years and swore that Kendall synthetic is a great oil cause what they brought to the track is what they sell at the store. I use it.... Is it better? I don't know but the man I was talking to said he tore down a lot of motors and calculated rate of wear and saw what happened to internal parts.

I'll also add this, my partner in North Carolina was a race engine builder for thirty years and he said the same thing. It's all marketing and a long as you maintain your car well you should not have an issue with any top brand.

Brake fluid is a whole other story (dont get me started on that!!!):no:

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
If this was your first service, I believe they also do a lot of inspection items as well. I know the guys at Valenti told me they check torques on suspension components etc esp knowing my car would see track duty. But to answer your question for oil change alone that was a bit high! They raped you on parts costs

1 - 20 of 46 Posts