1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 2009 Elise.

1) The engine is Toyota.
2) The transmission is Toyota.

3) Does this mean that the clutch is also Toyota? I am assuming yes.

4) Is anything else Toyota made?

I had a 1984 Toyota Corolla that went 413,000 km (250,000 miles) on the original engine, transmission and clutch. Many people don't believe me but I was the sole owner of the car so I should know.

I am now driving my wife's 1986 Toyota Tercel that has gone 300,000 km on the original engine, transmission and clutch. Engine burns a bit of oil and the transmission pops out of 2nd gear from time to time but the clutch is fine. Feels like it will last another 50,000 km easily.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
1) yes 2) yes 3) yes 4) perhaps little tidbits here or there, but not too much.

The drivetrain is the most important part of the car, and with Toyota/Yamaha, you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
155 Posts
1) yes 2) yes 3) yes 4) perhaps little tidbits here or there, but not too much.

The drivetrain is the most important part of the car, and with Toyota/Yamaha, you can't go wrong!
would add a small caveat to the above... with the elise most drivers spend a disproportionate time in an unnecessarily low gear and often at 6000+ rpm - doubt there's a drivetrain (or camshaft) in existence that would last 250k with that sort of use.
My $.02.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'm buying mine primarily for its cool bodywork. The performance aspects were not a key part of my buying decision. I plan to drive it rationally and am hoping it lasts a while.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I'm buying mine primarily for its cool bodywork. The performance aspects were not a key part of my buying decision. I plan to drive it rationally and am hoping it lasts a while.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the info.

good luck with that plan! :popcorn:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Thats what you say now....I'll see you at the track next year:D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
That plan will not work... it will probably evolve into one of the following:

1) Bodywork it totally cool; chicks dig it! But I hate the seats, stereo, storage, ride, etc. I'm going to sell it.

2) Whoa, man this car is fun to drive! Gotta get to an autox or track event ASAP!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
That plan will not work... it will probably evolve into one of the following:

1) Bodywork it totally cool; chicks dig it! But I hate the seats, stereo, storage, ride, etc. I'm going to sell it.

2) Whoa, man this car is fun to drive! Gotta get to an autox or track event ASAP!

Exactly!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It starts off like that...
but then when you're driving and you come upon some turns,
you can't help but wonder "how fast can I take this turn"
and even when you're not in the turns, once you discover the 2nd Cam, (6000+rpm), it gets just toooo tempting to hit it at least once or twice while taking the car out.

The Lotus is beautiful and exotic car, so can't blame ya for wanting to get it over all the other sports cars out there. (it admittedly contributed a bit to my own decision making).
but it's also considered a serious drivers car, with a considerable number of owner who bought theirs just so they can punish theirs on the track,
so you're gunna get a little bit of flack for admitting that you just want one for it's looks.

If you're going to drive it just like most people drive their sports cars, it should last quite awhile tho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts