The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Arqray Single Tip Titanium weighs 9 lbs according to sector111
Arqray Single Tip - Titanium Exhaust for the Lotus Elise and Exige

They also claim that the standard exhaust weighs about 25.6 lbs.
So the weight saving would equal to 16.6 lbs.

The Quicksilver Ultralight Carbon Exhaust weighs 8.4 lbs.
Ultralight Race Exhaust System : Hangar 111: Lotus Performance Parts for the Lotus Elise Exige & 340R

They, on the other hand, claim that one can save 35.3 lbs by replacing the standard exhaust with this Quicksilver product.

So, what numbers are correct ? Has anybody actually calculated the weight savings and wishes to share the results ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Arqray Single Tip Titanium weighs 9 lbs according to sector111
Arqray Single Tip - Titanium Exhaust for the Lotus Elise and Exige

They also claim that the standard exhaust weighs about 25.6 lbs.
So the weight saving would equal to 16.6 lbs.

The Quicksilver Ultralight Carbon Exhaust weighs 8.4 lbs.
Ultralight Race Exhaust System : Hangar 111: Lotus Performance Parts for the Lotus Elise Exige & 340R

They, on the other hand, claim that one can save 35.3 lbs by replacing the standard exhaust with this Quicksilver product.

So, what numbers are correct ? Has anybody actually calculated the weight savings and wishes to share the results ?
I doubt the calculation of Hangar111, maybe there's a kg/lbs conversion mistake. However, my original Exige-S exhaust weighs 13.2kgs (or 29.7lbs) which would make it impossible to safe 16kgs (as stated on the webpage) without having an exhaust with negative mass :D
I've exchanged it with the Quicksilver Titanium which is 5.5kgs (or 12.3lbs) which is then a weight saving of 7.7kgs (or 17.3lbs).
Btw, don't expect too much from the weight savings and power gain (if any) but much more from the sound ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply probax!

Are you satisfied with the Quicksilver, how is the finish ?
Any droning sounds at high revs ?

P.S. Good Luck for tonight's match ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Regardless of the numbers, the stock exhaust is very heavy for the Elise. The aftermarket exhausts are a LOT lighter.

I had a Quicksilver for some time and I really liked it. Finish was very good. I did not have drone issues. Eventually I ended up with a 2bular because Jim could tune it to the sound levels I needed to pass local racing regulations.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input Randy......and stunning Noble you have there ;) Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Regardless of the numbers, the stock exhaust is very heavy for the Elise. The aftermarket exhausts are a LOT lighter.

I had a Quicksilver for some time and I really liked it. Finish was very good. I did not have drone issues. Eventually I ended up with a 2bular because Jim could tune it to the sound levels I needed to pass local racing regulations.
as i said in another post, I weighed QS vs. stock 2 weeks ago, and it's exactly 11lbs less than stock, the ultralight saves even more.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

If you think the stock Elise exhaust is heavy, you have to try carrying some OTHER mufflers... Some mufflers for Lamborghinis and Porsches save around 40 lbs. YIKES.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The discrepancy you found is because the carbon one requires that you use a panel eliminator, resulting in a bigger weight savings. I seem to remember the rear panel and most of the heat shields being around 10 lbs. BTW, Von Hep is less than 10 lbs and less than $500.00

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
stock exhaust, stock cat, extra heat shield that was trimmed off:

larini decat(wrapped in heat wrap and with o2 adapter), vonhep muffler:

This does not even take into account the few pounds saved from removing the rear steel panel and going with the super light vonhep eliminator.

~25 pounds saving including the rear panel eliminator = pretty sweet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
stock exhaust, stock cat, extra heat shield that was trimmed off:

larini decat(wrapped in heat wrap and with o2 adapter), vonhep muffler:

This does not even take into account the few pounds saved from removing the rear steel panel and going with the super light vonhep eliminator.

~25 pounds saving including the rear panel eliminator = pretty sweet.
That is pretty!!!
Aj,
you have any idea of the db ofthat exhaust? A few tracks up here have sound limits, I can't take my STI to Limerock anymore, and I'll need to keep the sound under control.
Thanks,
TomK

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
not sure. it certainly isn't quiet and will not pass sound at laguna seca, but is far from unbearable. when driven around town its not too loud at all....I'm going to have to get creative for LAguna Seca though to pass sound. My setup will be changing soon and I'll loose the decat infavor of the weapon R race header/decat pipe.

The vonhep is my favorite sounding exhaust I've heard on a lotus yet though. MUCH less raspy than the argray singles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts