The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to my knowledge as of now the Advan is not sold in the US anywhere. This could mean that a Lotus dealership would be our only source for the stock tire if we need to replace one or more.

So, are we going to be paying $400/tire? :(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I thought about this also. I checked out TireRack and found that the Dunlop FM901 tire can be had in a 195/50-16 and 225/45-17 size and are reasonably priced. They may not be as sticky as the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 (and not optimized to the suspension), but they may be the replacement tire I go with if I can't find the AD07 elsewhere.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Clyde's been offering to sell the current Neovas (AD06?) for $400/set of 4 of the 15" (front) size and somewhat more for a set of 4 of the 16" (rear) size. That seems pretty reasonable, and is about what an importer is asking for the non-Lotus, non-DOT-approved version of the tire.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Because of the low weight of the Elise, we are in a bind here. While some tires may "fit", they will not be optimum because even if these modest sizes the tires are designed for a much heavier car.

While we don't have a choice there is a bright side; very few cars are designed around one tire to achieve maximum performance. My bet is we will want to stay with these tires for general street use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how about falken azenis sport on the elise? pretty affordable tire that's popular in the autox circle (at least on other cars)...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
a) Won't come in the right sizes. 215/45-16 and 225/45-17 would be the sizes you'd have to try to fit on the Elise. The 215 is probably just too fat for the front. If you changed wheel sizes, you might be able to get away with 205/50-15 and 215/45-16. That could still muck with the oversteer/understeer balance even if it fit.

b) They are heavy. The Elise, having a light chassis, is going to be extra-sensitive to the ill effects of heavy tires and wheels. Both acceleration/braking and ride/surface tracking will be affected.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Another problem:

Tire technology seems to move as fast as computer technology. What are we going to do a couple of years down the road when the Yokohama Advan Neova is obsolete?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joetz said:
Another problem:

Tire technology seems to move as fast as computer technology. What are we going to do a couple of years down the road when the Yokohama Advan Neova is obsolete?
use the next-gen Advan Neova tire.

·
Registered
426 Posts
atyclb said:
use the next-gen Advan Neova tire.
Assuming they decide that it's profitable to produce the next generation tire in this size for a very small number of cars. I wish Lotus didn't use such oddball sizes so we'd have more choices out there.

Update- 2/9/04: Does anyone remember the Michelin TRX tire that came standard on BMWs? It was a decent tire in it's day, but the rims would only accept TRX tires and no others because of the 15.4 inch rim diameter. You would think that, with many, many cars on the road, they would make a next generation of the TRX tire, right? They never updated them and now they are very expensive and so ridiculously far behind in tire technology, it's not even funny. With less elises out there than these 5, 6, and 7 series bmws, I think there is no chance of ever seeing this design being updated. At least BMW owners can switch to conventional rims and many have been updating their cars with 15+ inch rims and vastly superior tires. I wonder what creative solutions elise owners will come up with 4 or 5 years down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts