The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on buying an 07 Exige here soon. My budget is about 40k give or take at the moment. I was debating buying one now and needing a loan to do so or wait until next summer/fall and buy one cash.

I guess what Im getting at is how much do you guys think an average used 07 exige will depreciate by then. I mean its only been 2 years since they were new and they are already going for low 40's and sometimes even lower on occasion. Thats over 10k loss per year from the original price of about 70k.

Do you guys see a 07 exige going in the low 30's or mid 30's by next year? Id hate to buy one now and see em going for $10,000 cheaper next summer or even $5,000 cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
My crystal ball is a little cloudy on the exact amount... but if you think you can buy a car that doesn't depreciate...

:)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I knew this guy that was always waiting to but the latest computer for less, five years later, he still doesn't have a computer because he thinks he'll get something cheaper as time goes. :shrug:

Maybe he won't be around next year.

No pun intended, but if you wait a few more years, I can guarantee you it will be cheaper.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Almost all cars are a Big Black Hole amigo!

I guess what Im getting at is how much do you guys think an average used 07 exige will depreciate by then.

I mean its only been 2 years since they were new and they are already going for low 40's and sometimes even lower on occasion. That's over 10k loss per year from the original price of about 70k.
The Buzzbomb and it's variants are a niche of a niche. Naturally the price will fall quickly. If where you reside has no snow for the next 3 or 4 months or ever than roll on one now. If you can wait then purchase one in the winter months.

It's a toy. Do you want to play now or later? ;)

:shift:

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 06 Exige has dropped FAR LESS in value than did my Stock Account!!!!

Any new car ---- especially a higher-end car ---- should drop about 50% from MSRP in 3 years. Edmunds had an article some time ago (search either here, or at their Board, it should come up pretty quick) saying that the Exige (or, was it the Elise) was one of the 10-best investments in the Car World.

---- ANDY

Im planning on buying an 07 Exige here soon. My budget is about 40k give or take at the moment. I was debating buying one now and needing a loan to do so or wait until next summer/fall and buy one cash.

I guess what Im getting at is how much do you guys think an average used 07 exige will depreciate by then. I mean its only been 2 years since they were new and they are already going for low 40's and sometimes even lower on occasion. Thats over 10k loss per year from the original price of about 70k.

Do you guys see a 07 exige going in the low 30's or mid 30's by next year? Id hate to buy one now and see em going for $10,000 cheaper next summer or even $5,000 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
... but if you think you can buy a car that doesn't depreciate...

Landrover Defender 90 is about as close as you can get - but you'd look a bit odd at an Auto-X -eek-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My crystal ball is a little cloudy on the exact amount... but if you think you can buy a car that doesn't depreciate...

Yeah i know its gonna depreciate but Im just hoping not at the rate it has been. Im hoping due to its rarity that it will start holding value a little better like say a Toyota Supra which happens to be my last car I owned. Bought it for 21k, two years later sold it for 25k. I know not many cars are like this but I can hope right?:)

·
Registered
682 Posts
It depends how many trees you hit. rotfl

I'm still here... trying to picture a linear curve... :huh: :shrug:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yeah i know its gonna depreciate but Im just hoping not at the rate it has been. Im hoping due to its rarity that it will start holding value a little better like say a Toyota Supra which happens to be my last car I owned. Bought it for 21k, two years later sold it for 25k. I know not many cars are like this but I can hope right?:)

if you want to know about the rate of lotus depreciation here is a simple demonstration that anyone can do, and understand.

#1 go outside and find a rock

#2 place rock in hand and extend your arm out parallel to the ground you are standing on

#3 drop rock

thats about how fast the car will depreciate when bought new.

used cars a bit slower but still pretty quickly.

this is NOT the car to buy if you are thinking the way you are.
either wait for a good deal on a used one, they are out there, or stick to cars like the one you had.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your real concern isn't depreciation, it's finding one that hasn't been abused. Maintenance costs on a poorly treated Lotus makes depreciation look like a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think he's trying to figure out if he can buy one for less next year. Hopefully he doesn't care about reselling his Lotus if he buys one. Drive it into the ground.

Look at Elise resale values for 05, 06, 07, and 08. I wouldn't look at the trend for the Exige, because 06 exiges didn't come supercharged, 07s did, and 08s come with a longer hood scoop.

I personally don't think it would pay to wait a whole year for further depreciation to occur. Life is too short!

Oh, speaking of abuse, I don't know if this is true, but I heard that a ding in the intercooler means it was rev dropped hard enough to shake the engine on its mounts, knocking the IC against the post. Mine had a ding when I got it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any car that is still in production will lose value outside of things that are ultra rare and exclusive like the Veyron or special imports, so none of these cars are good investments. From what I can tell in depreciation, the cars seems to take a steep hit of about 30%-40% in the first 3 years depending on milage which isn't so bad. I believe from there it will start leveling out and should hold up decently well. Don't expect it to flat line or go up until at least a few years after production stops. I'd say the depreciation is average in the short term and good in the long.

For reference, my Dodge Caliber R/T dumped 45% off sticker in the first 18 months/20k miles thanks to being American and also getting used as a rental fleet car. My WRX lost only 30% off sticker after 3 years/20k miles and only another 30% in the added 5 years/45k miles added since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts