The Lotus Cars Community banner

How often do you change your oil? every....

• 1000 miles

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 2000 miles

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • 3000 miles

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • 4000 miles

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • 5000 miles

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • 6000 miles

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • 7500 miles

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • 10000 miles

Votes: 3 3.2%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
every 2K, even though its synthetic.....Im like that about my oil.

However, if I paid the ridiculous price dealerships charge for oil changes, it would be far far less frequent.

·
Registered
912 Posts
^royal purp 4TW!!!
+1

The 5w-40 weight meets Lotus warranty requirements

Only downside is finding a store that stocks 5w-40. Only place i know in the LA area is Super Autobacs out in Azuza.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Every 2K as you only change half. Also my car screams for an oil change around that time. I notice a couple hundred miles before I reach 2K on the oil that the head starts "ticking". Change the oil and the ticking goes away for another 1800 or so. :shrug:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I see no reason at all not to follow manufacturer's recommendations. Anyone who wants to use 250% more, unless tracking or otherwise exposing to a harsher regime, has the right to do so, but why?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I see no reason at all not to follow manufacturer's recommendations. Anyone who wants to use 250% more, unless tracking or otherwise exposing to a harsher regime, has the right to do so, but why?
Oil breaks down quicker when your seriously beating on the car like I do. Ie. there is a 140km stretch of nothing but curvy road here I like to frequent :evil:.

You also get deposit buildups of fuel, carbon and other metals in the oil...

Changing more often flushes all that crap out and there for keeps the engine nice and clean inside and doesn't allow it to build up crud. Also as was stated a few posts up, your only changing 1/2 the oil or about 2/3 if you have a Moroso Oil pan. The remaining oil in the oil coolers and lines will dilute the new oil with it's trapped impurities. If you change more often there are less impurities to contaminate the new oil.

Overall Oil is cheaper than needing to pull the engine apart due to a spun rod bearing or worn cam lobes and rocker arms in the long run.

I also change the filter every other oil change.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Depends on how i'm driving it.
5000-7500 miles, and it's fairly clean when I change it.
With synthetics under non racing conditions you are throwing money away and not getting one of the biggest advantages of the synthetic- longer service life. Certainly not that it will hurt anything by changing sooner if you want to spend the money. YMMV.

I've done plenty of research on oils, synthetics, wear studies etc. I'm fully confident you could go to an even longer interval. BMW thinks you can too. They recommend a 15K mile oil change interval and back it up with a warranty. My grandfather sends his oil samples into a lab for anaylsis and has ran much longer. He has got very long life out of all his vehicles.

I've blown a chevy engine that saw much more frequent changes, and have got long life out of engines with less frequent ones. A lot has to do with what ya got and what you are doing with it. My Dad had around 400K miles on a GMC truck without ever getting into the engine internally and it probably averaged around 5-7K for oil changes. My old BMW used to get ever 3-5K and now gets every 7500-10K. Engine has close to 200K, is mechanically sound still gets 33MPG highway and passes emissions like new every year.

I'm sure there are some Celica's and Matrix's running around with our little engines in them that see poor maintenance and will still plug away for 300K.
I prefer to get it at about 5K but if I have not been driving extremely hard I don't get too worried to let it go to the recommended interval. When I did a track day last year I changed everything- oil, trans, and brake fluid. I certainly don't think my car is abused and am confident I'll get a very long life from it. If not, well I guess I'll plug another engine into it. lol. I'm at 42K miles now and going strong. Runs great and oil stays very clean.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I voted for 2000 mi because like others, I don't drive the car enough to warrant an oil change but like to change it once a year.

Now I have a question. In this situation, is there a need to change the oil filter with every oil change since the filter change interval should be based on mileage and not time? If we can skip the filter change to every other oil change then we can use one of those pumps to extract the oil from the dipstick tube. Makes changing oil (at least every other oil change) so much easier.

·
Puff Daddy
3,878 Posts
I change mine once a year, regardless of miles (it doesn't get driven much).
+1

Track/autocross/mountain days increase the interval. I generally change the oil right before going to the track just in case.

It didn't see any track time in 2008 :sad: so I went back to the yearly interval... ended up being about 4000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.