The Lotus Cars Community banner

How often do you change your Transmission Fluid?

• 5k miles

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • 10k miles

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • 12k miles

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • 12k+ miles (why?)

Votes: 33 61.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,878 Posts
I generally do it every 30k miles or 5 years.

It's not subjected to the extreme conditions that the engine oil sees... so I think it's perfectly fine to leave it in for as long as Lotus recommends (6 yrs/45k miles).

FWIW: BMW puts "lifetime" fluid in their cars and says you never have to change the transmission/diff oil :shrug:

·
Registered
419 Posts
for street driving BMW recommended every 30k

this was before they covered the costs of maintainance for 4 years

then it became "lifetime fill" (except for M cars, they are still at 30k)

interesting to note the type of tranny oil used did not change

there is a joke for bimmers that "lifetime fill" really means that when the tranny explodes from no oil changes, that was "its lifetime"

for the box porsche recommends 60k I think.

I change it every 30k in all my cars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I put Redline MT-90 in around 2000 miles ago and I think it may be the best thing I've done yet.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put in MT-90 in mine as well at 2000 mile. It did not make too much of a difference. I had great experience with my NA Miata when I went to MT-90.

But I did notice that MT-90 is not too great when the car is cold from sitting over night. (I mean 40 below) It is a bit notchy when cold, but when fully warmed, it is just fine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
For normal street use most people should be fine 30k+. However if you are turbo/supercharged or track the car and beat on it regularly it see's more stress and heat so i would recommend it be changed every 10-15k.

i was previously using redline fluid which is nice and thick and shifts great but then next fluid change i am switching over the eneos synthetic to give that a try.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...yeah, 68,000 miles is far too seldom...

...i had mehve's changed yesterday, and clearly her first owner had never touched it - anyone with a babied elise would have been moritified to see the old fluid look like nearly-black dirty mopwater...
:eek:
...i haven't driven her yet, but tomorrow we'll see how the gearbox feels with fresh fluid...it's always been a pretty rough shifter, something other elise drivers have consistently noted when driving my car, so hopefully between the long-overdue fluid change and a future shifter modification, the difference will be profound...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'll need my paperwork to confirm exactly what was put in, but it doesn't feel conspicuously different with just the fluid change alone...the gearbox has held up okay thus far, no functional deficiencies, so i'm not terribly worried about it - i might look at upgrading it in a few years anyway, as i prepare my car for supercharging...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.