The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than any other question this is the one I get.

"Is that a Tesla?":confused:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I passed my buddy and his coworker walking down the street a few months back. He told me later that his coworker was absolutely insistent that my car was a Tesla.. Even though I had a pretty loud exhaust at the time LOL.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'd bet you get it more in the Bay Area.

In Chicago, not so much.

Ironically enough, I got my first 'is that a Tesla' comment this week.

Was having lunch at Oakbrook Mall outside Chicago. They just opened a Tesla 'showroom' in the mall. Yes, in the mall. In what used to be the old Kenneth Cole store.

I chatted with the reps there. The 'reps' are twenty something hipsters wearing skinny jeans and Chuck Taylors with Tesla polos.

The 'showroom' had a yellow roadster and a chassis of an S. That's it. According to them, the roadster is one the 4 remaining unsold ones in the world. It's a euro spec one and can't be sold legally in the US - all for show.

Anyway, it's yellow with grey wheels - like my Elise. I'm in my car about an hour later and a man and woman get in the car next to me and turn and say 'isn't that the Tesla we just saw in the store - did you buy it?'. I said 'nope, my car'. :) Didn't tell them it was a Lotus. I did hear the lady say 'he's too young, he probably works there'. :)

Made me feel good - I'm 41 and was probably only about 5 years younger than the lady that said it. And yes, she was a MILF.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I passed my buddy and his coworker walking down the street a few months back. He told me later that his coworker was absolutely insistent that my car was a Tesla.. Even though I had a pretty loud exhaust at the time LOL.
Easy explanation.

That's the 'Sounds Like Combustion Engine Exhaust' speaker option that comes on the Tesla. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just impressed that people know of TESLA:huh:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I see more Tesla's around the South Bay/Peninsula area then Elises or Exiges. The people with Tesla's seems to daily drive their cars.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'm just impressed that people know of TESLA:huh:
Keep in mind - you live in the Bay Area. The HOME of that car. Not to mention that Tesla is mentioned in the media in the Bay Area about 1000x a day. Also add that Elan Musk is mentioned as well. Also add that the target market - young greenies with money - is precisely in the Bay Area.

It would be like saying 'wow, we hear alot about the Dallas Cowboys.....in Dallas'

By comparison, I'd doubt many people in Kansas have any idea what a Tesla is.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep in mind - you live in the Bay Area. The HOME of that car. Not to mention that Tesla is mentioned in the media in the Bay Area about 1000x a day. Also add that Elan Musk is mentioned as well. Also add that the target market - young greenies with money - is precisely in the Bay Area.

It would be like saying 'wow, we hear alot about the Dallas Cowboys.....in Dallas'

By comparison, I'd doubt many people in Kansas have any idea what a Tesla is.
Good point :up:

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I got asked if it was a Tesla about a year ago while getting gas. I was literally holding onto the pump handle. I was as polite as I could be and explained it was not, that a Tesla is an electric car and wouldn't need gas...

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Never got asked if it was a Tesla but have gotten the what kind of Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche it is. Also got the "is that a kit car?" question.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I don't put off the hip young urban professional vibe; I don't get asked if my car is a tesla. I am not sure they are found anywhere in Arizona, outside of Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and Sedona. There are 4 Elises within ten miles of where I live though.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Exactly, we're much too busy keeping our covered wagons from tipping to worry about such things. ;)
:)

Wasn't doggin on Kansas - just saying that Teslas are SOOOO rare and there are so few dealerships. In addition, Tesla is in the media in the Bay Area about 50x a week!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't put off the hip young urban professional vibe; I don't get asked if my car is a tesla. I am not sure they are found anywhere in Arizona, outside of Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and Sedona. There are 4 Elises within ten miles of where I live though.
I was asked by some "hipster" type if my car was a Tesla. I'm not surprised by this as the Tesla definitely has more media buzz the last few years.

There is actually one nice yellow Tesla Roadster in town that I see sometimes. It probably is the only one in town.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Not too much. A few times a year.
Most of the questions I get are about price and specs, and how fast I've taken it. The usual.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Never. Most think my '10 S260 is an Elise. Well, that's the 'most' that actually know it's a Lotus. Others dont know where to start.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yesterday I received both ... "who owns the porsche" and "who makes Lotus" statements.

still in the first month of ownership. looking forward to the first tesla comment. then again, the wife did send me a photo of a evora tesla from the mall saying it looked like the elise... go figure.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts