The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
-eek-
This might be an unwise thing for me to admit … but I do drive a Tesla ...Tesla is interesting because it costs nothing to run, charges from sunlight, ....
Wait, what? I never heard about a Solar charger... can you elaborate, possibly add a photo?

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Hell no. Mine burns Gas baby!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinballer :-
This might be an unwise thing for me to admit … but I do drive a Tesla ... its interesting because it costs nothing to run, and charges from sunlight, ....
-eek-

Wait, what? I never heard about a Solar charger... can you elaborate, possibly add a photo?
The PV on my roof doesn't plug directly into the car because of fluctuations due to moving clouds, rain etc which wont provide a stable voltage. It is possible to buy solar car ports that do plug directly into the car, and have a buffer battery to balance out the power delivery.

For me, the power from my PV on a sunny day goes into the grid and when the car needs a top up it typically happens for an hour or so at night on cheap rate surplus grid power. Same process as sticking my cell phone on its charge stand. I rarely use a full charge in one drive, and my daily commute is a round trip of 50 miles. But it really will do 210/220 miles or so on one charge, which I think I've done maybe 4 or 5 times this year.

Even without solar and just using normal grid power, the charge costs are peanuts like $1 a day. To fill a completely empty "tank" with fresh electrons costs about $5 to $7 depending on where you live, giving a total annual cost of maybe $200-$300 for 10,000 miles use. If you have got Solar on your roof, you get paid to generate the electricity which means you effectively get paid about 10 cents a mile to actually drive the car. Seems ridiculous but thats the way it is :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Exactly, we're much too busy keeping our covered wagons from tipping to worry about such things. ;)
You guys don't even know what a Prius is how would you know a Tesla? Just teasing. I grew up in Kansas and have lived in the Bay Area for 6 years. I take a beating every time I tell someone I am from Kansas.

Anyway, I do see more Tesla's than Lotus here.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Can't believe it took only less than two months of ownership before I got this. I just remembered while filling up last weekend a man coming up to me quickly and saying, "How much electric is that?"

Me: "Huh?"

"How much electric does it run?"

Me: "Oh, none, it's not a Tesla."

*looks at front emblem* "Oh, it's a Lotus."

Me: "Yeah."

*awkward silence*

BUT, he saves it by answering:

"No wonder why I thought it looked better than a Tesla"

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a guy take an exit and pull off the interstate and find the business I was parked at just to see my car because he thought it was a Tesla, which he was obsessed with. He realized before he got to it that it was an Elise but he still stopped to check it out because he had never seen one of those in person either lol

I too have gotten the kit car and Ferrari questions too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was just asked this last week. A bunch of high school kids at a bus stop: "Nice car, Dude. Is that a Tesla?" When I said it was a Lotus they looked kind of confused. The light turned green and I had to move along before I could enlighten them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I never had my Elise confused with a Tesla. But I did get asked if it was a new baby Ferrari, and one guy thought it was some sort of Corvette. I had him walk around back and pointed at the raised LOTUS letters. He asked who made Lotus! Lol!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have seen an equal amount of Tesla roadsters to Elises on the street in Indianapolis (3 each). Sadly I haven't came across an Exige yet, but I have seen two S4 Esprits & 1 Evora.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Living in the Bay Area and working in Silicon Valley means I've had the Telsa question a few times since getting my Elise a few months ago.

Interestingly, there's a yellow Elise at Dietsch Werks that was the first Tesla prototype.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Living in the Bay Area and working in Silicon Valley means I've had the Telsa question a few times since getting my Elise a few months ago.

Interestingly, there's a yellow Elise at Dietsch Werks that was the first Tesla prototype.
Agreed. In all honesty, it feels like i see an equal amount or more Teslas than Eliges in the Bay Area. No more garage queens, we're outnumbered on the streets fellas. :(

·
V EQLS IR
330 Posts
hey guys - just got my FIRST ever 'is that a tesla?!' at starbucks just north of MKE this morning.

i was shocked, since the upper midwest is not exactly known for its love of EV's....

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
hey guys - just got my FIRST ever 'is that a tesla?!' at starbucks just north of MKE this morning.

i was shocked, since the upper midwest is not exactly known for its love of EV's....
I have never seen a Tesla in the Twin Cities.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts