The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How Often Do You Recharge Your A/C?

6K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Doge 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I recharged by A/C back in September 2009, used it for three summers, not extensively (maybe 5-10 times per summer), and now it's dead again in 2012. I think that I have a leak, unless others feel that it's as common to have to recharge every three years?

What might I be looking at in terms of a repair? I have a 2006 Elise. I'm thinking of also just leaving it that way it is and drive with the windows and top down.

#2 ·
07 Exige S, never had to recharge and I can feel it working even with the top off (soft top mod) and the windows down. It's fairly robust all things considered, although still pales in comparison to your average car.

#3 ·
You have a leak. A good system never needs to be recharged. I had a VW Quantuum Syncro that was over 12 years old and had 147,000 miles on it. AC blew cold and had never been serviced.

Any automotive AC shop should be able to check it for you. Unless you have a leak in your condensor (under the radiator, I think) or the evaporator (under the dash, I suppose) it should not be too expensive. Anyway, the 134 stuff is available to mere mortals, so at least you don't have the old R12.

#4 ·
I would agree with Phil,
Recharge it yourself and save some coin.

#5 ·
Mine leaks

I recharge mine annually, usually in May. It lasts most of the summer. For three years it was trouble free, then it developed a leak.

$75 if the shop charges it.

$1,000 if they fix the leak. They say the leak is in the lines in the sill.

if this summer stays hot (102F today) I may have to charge it twice.

#9 ·
I have a 2005 Elise and the aircon still works. When I got the car in 2011 I had it recharged even though it was still working. The guy said it had lost 40% of its gas in 6 years.

I have been told that aircon loses 5-10% of its gas every year. I also have a 2008 Ford van which has done 50,000 miles and the aircon still works fine, I've never touched it.

#10 ·
I had mine checked just because I had the rear clam off and the ports are much easier to get to (ya I drove it to the place with no rear clam on :) ).

They said the system only took like 1.25 pounds when full and mine measured at 1 pound. Car is 6 years old at this point, first time being checked.

#14 ·
There is a small amount of permeability through the flexible hoses, but the refrigerant should last at least 20 years. Anything less is a leak.

Right side of the engine bay. On the Elise you can recharge the AC through the side grill without even opening the engine cover.
This is why I have never recharged any of my vehicles on a regular basis. You don't need to unless there is an actual leak. My 2005 still blows ice cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.