The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my 05 Elise 10-08. I have not changed the oil since but have put on only 600 miles since. Should I change the oil soon or just change it again before winter hard? No track use. Now the thing is not garage queen but I do push it but not that much. Total milage a year will not be more than 3k a year. Should I change it in the spring and the fall for wait and do it before winter?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Oil does oxidize, so you dont want to leave it in forever. But from the research I have read, from people who do that kind of thing for a living, you are fine at changing the oil once a year, or 3,000 to 5,000 miles depending on your usage.

But oil is a religion, so you will get many opinions.

For some good reading, although not Lotus specific, check out

S2KI - Honda S2000 Community articles written by "road rage"
S2000 Forums -> Road Rage - Fluid Change Schedules
bobistheoildguy web

·
Registered
287 Posts
My dealer suggested once every 6 months, but I don't leave my car idle for any length of time.

Edit: I just changed my oil after 4000 mi and 6 months... it was NASTY, completely black with all kinds of chunks in it. So 3000 might not be a bad number for this car.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Modern synthetic oils last much longer than 3,000 miles. I've had Blackstone oil analysis done on my other car and it has lasted easily for 5,000 miles. Some of those were high RPM miles. The Lotus may be different, I'll have my next oil change analyzed to see what it says.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking along twice a year, spring and fall. I change the oil in my Jeep anf the wife's Volvo in April and October. We don't put more than 8k mile on each car a year.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dealer recommended 7000 miles or 12 months.

Manual states every 7500 miles, or 4000 miles with occasional track use, frequent short trips in cold weather or dusty conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Follow the Lotus manual schedule for either normal usage or excess high rpm usage, they have 2 different schedules. Always change your oil/filter after a track day... But the manual from Lotus would be your best guide, after all they did write the book on the subject ! If you don't have the manual you can download it in pdf form from sandsmuseum.com I think. The nice thing about following the manual and keeping a record is if you ever have to make a warranty claim they can't argue that the car was not properly kept up....

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I think it depends on the specific oil you use, and how you drive the car when you do drive it. PM elise 323, he's an oil guru.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My dealer suggested once every 6 months, but I don't leave my car idle for any length of time.

Edit: I just changed my oil after 4000 mi and 6 months... it was NASTY, completely black with all kinds of chunks in it. So 3000 might not be a bad number for this car.

Wtf, how many miles are on your car? Did you buy it new? What oil are you using?

I change mine after a track event or 4k miles, even after 4k miles, its like a dark honey. 28k miles on the clock, 10k with turbo. Royal purple 10w30

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can't really tell much about the condition of oil by looking at it, unless it's really ugly, then you probably have big problems. The only way to know is to do an oil analysis. I've done several analyses on my Audi. I've changed it at 5K miles. Blackstone has said that I could have left in longer. Several of these samples were taken after extended autobahn driving at high RPM. Do the sample and you'll know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put that question out there to see what people thought. Oil has always been a topic of intrest with a ton of different thoughts. I wanted to see if I was just lazy or a once a year change was ok. I went to 5-40 Red Line a week or so after I got the car and will change it once a year. I think 3k at the most on an oil that can go over 6k is more than fine. Keep in mind this is a Toyota street motor ment to go well over 100k not a Toyota F1 engine ment to last 2 weekends.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
My belief is that although car manufacturers give both a mileage and time limit to change the oil, the time does not really matter, and is irrelevant. Oil does not degrade by just sitting there and not being run in an engine. As long as it is changed within the mileage limit then that if fine, irrespective of the time. There is in fact, only one reason oil can degrade in a condition of not being run in an engine, and that is moisture absorption from condensation. When I recently changed my oil the mileage was 5723 miles between changes, less than the 7500 miles limit, but the time was almost 2 years, not the 6 months stated. To prove my point I sent the used oil to a lab (Blackstone) for testing and the results confirmed my theory, my oil had 0.0%water content.
Cheers,
Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts