The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many are surprised when I tell them my Elise is from 2005. Mainly because they've never seen it before it would cause them to think it is new. But like all cars, there's a point where it starts looking dated (but still awesome of course). Sort of like Countach's and Testarossa's now. Do you think it has reached this point or will soon?

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I think the slats look pretty 1980's. Toss those for some quality mesh and the cars look fairly modern, the base model wheels have go though too.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
They look old to me but ONLY because I've been staring at them since 2003 but the design is still very fresh and unique. Probably the only tell tales sign that it's not a 2013 car is the lack of LEDs on earlier U.S. Elise/Exige.

The Elise/Exige and practically any other car will look dated when the next generation is released. I think the 430 looks dated next to the 458.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
To me the S1 look seriously dated. The rear tails being LED it doesn't look too dated.

But at the end of the day, I don't really care, as long as I like looking at it.

Its like women I saw who look dated, but their husbands are perfectly happy with them.

Most Elige owners look more dated than their cars...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think it will look dated to me when people stop looking at me like I'm crazy when I say it's a 2006. It's a gorgeous car and I think it will always be considered one - dated or not. Shiny paint helps too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
The S2s are timeless...just like the Ferrari Dino 246GTS... They both could have been built 40 years ago...they could have been built yesterday...timeless...or classic.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The S2s are timeless...just like the Ferrari Dino 246GTS... They both could have been built 40 years ago...they could have been built yesterday...timeless...or classic.
+1, I agree totally, timeless design-in four years of owning mine,never had a single person asked me what year the car was.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I think it has the timeless look with all the curves resembling the classic Ferrari - just exotic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
And tonight, coincidentally enough, I'm inside the gas station buying a drink (because i am a bad lotus owner who has a cupholder and enjoy the occasional refreshment while driving) and a guy comes sprinting in yelling "who's brand new ferrari is outside?!?!" He was driving an older audi and was by far the most excited interaction I've had since owning it. He didn't believe it was a 2006...until he sat inside of it haha.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
+2

·
Registered
581 Posts
had a S2 pass me by on the freeway while driving my truck. I does look sharp and timeless. Makes easier for me to justify keeping my 05 Elise; As impractical as it is. :):)

·
shay2nak
25,127 Posts
I've had the exige 7 years. Hard to believe that. Still looks current and probably will for quite a time as well. It's the unique, sort of futuristic design.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
A lot of folks say they see a lot of the Dino in the Elise. I just don't see it in the S2, the similarities are a stretch to me.

Now, it IS easy to tell that the designer of the Elise S1 owned a Dino. The similarities there are quite striking.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Regardless of the "old factor" , the "classic factor" is alive and well in all our cars. I think the quirkiest looking are the older S2's , and are destined to be classics much like the older Europas are classic. Quirky looking, and classic Lotus.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I get asked all the time what year mine is. After telling them, the responses are split. Some thought it was way older than that. Some thought it was brand new. So I'm going with the 'timeless design' conclusion.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts