The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being most practical how useful are the back seats. Did a quick search but didn't find much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If 1 is totally unpractical and 10 is practical as a camry, let say 2!!!!
It's only for childs or dwarfs!!! Seriously, it can be used for childs or little adults, but not more.
Because the driver seat doesn't allow to have the legs correctly set and there no space for your head for a normal adult.

I just bought my Evora to replace and Elise, so it's more practical because you have a big space to carry lot of things ( or wears ), but it's not really usable to fit peoples on the rear sit.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being most practical how useful are the back seats. Did a quick search but didn't find much.
I would give it a 6
I have two teenagers both about 5'6"
One will usually sit in the backseat behind the driver with there feet behind the passenger. i wouldn't do it, but they say they are very comfortable for the short ride home from school.:coolnana:
In truth I think they would ride in the trunk just to get a ride in the Lotus

I used to have a 370Z and could never pick up the kids because it was a 2 seater, but now one rides in front and one in back. I can now use my fun car as a everyday car due to the option of being able to put someone in back if needed.:clap:

Also my insurance is about $100 year cheaper on the 2+2 over the 2+0. I guess some insurance adjusted felt the 4 seater was safer or less likey to be driven crazy then the 2 seaterrotfl

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would give it a 6
I have two teenagers both about 5'6"
One will usually sit in the backseat behind the driver with there feet behind the passenger. i wouldn't do it, but they say they are very comfortable for the short ride home from school.:coolnana:
In truth I think they would ride in the trunk just to get a ride in the Lotus

I used to have a 370Z and could never pick up the kids because it was a 2 seater, but now one rides in front and one in back. I can now use my fun car as a everyday car due to the option of being able to put someone in back if needed.:clap:

Also my insurance is about $100 year cheaper on the 2+2 over the 2+0. I guess some insurance adjusted felt the 4 seater was safer or less likey to be driven crazy then the 2 seaterrotfl
Do you think a baby seat would fit back there?
I would have to take my 10 year old and new born to school and day care in the morning. My 10 year old is tall enough to sit up front.
Just trying to figure out if the Evora could be my commuter car.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I would take your car seat to the dealer and do a test fit, but I don't see why it would not fit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Britax Frontier and Evenflo Amp. Since this picture I have even added the back portion of the Amp to give my daughter more side impact protection. I do our weekly grocery store trips in the Evora with both girls in the back. You'd be amazed how much space exists on each side of the car seats in the rear. I can usually fit 2 plastic grocery bags on the side of each car seat. I have the rear cushion removed to gain an extra 3" or so of height.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My previous car was a Jaguar XKR coupe, the evora back seat is notably more usable than the Jag's. My wife and oldest daugher are both under 5'2"/110# and say it's much more comfortable in back than the Jag. My youngest daugher is 5'7" and couldn't fit in either back seat.
The only thing I don't really like is the lack of rear seat head protection for them in the event of a rear inpact.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Britax Frontier and Evenflo Amp. Since this picture I have even added the back portion of the Amp to give my daughter more side impact protection. I do our weekly grocery store trips in the Evora with both girls in the back. You'd be amazed how much space exists on each side of the car seats in the rear. I can usually fit 2 plastic grocery bags on the side of each car seat. I have the rear cushion removed to gain an extra 3" or so of height.

What a AWESOME picture.:clap:
You Sir/Madam have very cool kids.
Its all about the "bringing up" and a Lotus is a good place to start

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Carried 5'9" GF across town with her redhead friend up front. Very useful. 10 of 10.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
Just got back from Costco. Case of Kleenex and case of Laundry Det in back. Doesn't matter to me if it was a seat or 2+0. Space is the same and I use it. Will come in handy when I drive it to Maine with my 3 Toy poodles. That will be a definite photo op!!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have loved the fact that I got the 2+2. Day one I got to drive my parents 3 city's away for lunch :)

Ever since I have had many people sit back there. No baby seat but there is plenty of room as illustrated by the previously posted picture.

I give it a 9 out of 10 because I can't fit comfortably back there at 5'10" but I could fit if needed (though no one else is driving my car but me :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 6'2" son in the front and my 5'10" wife in the back for a short journey to a friends home. No problem for short distances and more useful in that respect than the 2+0. So 9 out of 10...

·
Registered
311 Posts
To me... a 10 of 10. I'm coming from an Elise, which was a 0 of 10 for my family. Now I can take my 8 and 4 year old everywhere and the wife can also come along for those ice cream runs. The 8 sits behind me without a booster. I still have plenty of room as a driver and can move up a notch or two without hindering the driving experience and gives her more room. The 4 is in a full booster (like previous pictures posted) and wife still has plenty of room. Eventually he'll be big enough to use just a seat booster which will give him even more room. I would assume this might not work in 5-8 years, but then I can buy my daughter an Elise for $10,000 and she can follow us. In the now, it's perfect. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
. . . .but then I can buy my daughter an Elise for $10,000 and she can follow us.
^Ok, now I know what my plan will be in 11 years. Better start planting the seed with the wife now . . .

·
Registered
396 Posts
It is always fun trying... :nanner:
LOL, and by "planting the seed" I merely meant begin trying to convince her that our 5 year old will need a mid-engine two seater when she turns 16.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you think a baby seat would fit back there?
I would have to take my 10 year old and new born to school and day care in the morning. My 10 year old is tall enough to sit up front.
Just trying to figure out if the Evora could be my commuter car.

I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old. They fit just fine. Just have to be smart about booster seats. I suggest Bubble Bum (- BubbleBum (USA) LLC) [do not put .com] The kids love it since they sit closer to us. It is fine for small drives < 30 mins. I do not plan to do major road trips in the Evora with the kids anyways. I just wanted a back seat for those few times I have a drop off / pick ups around town. Besides in Texas, kids can ride in the front anytime they want, so they love it.

I had an e90 M3 Sedan before and the kids prefer the Lotus any day!
8/10 if you have kids who will be ok with boosters - and 2/10 if you need to take adults or infants. I would not count on big road trips.

A new born might be tricky in the back; perhaps you can have the new born in the front in a rear facing seat and the 10 year old behind you? It is going to be a bit tight and all depends on the seats. I recall Porsche had or has a seat for new borns in the front that might work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would give it a 5 for the average person. A 9 for me personally. Coming from soneone who has had a Mazda Miata, S2000, Acura NSX, Lotus Elise and not a Lotus Evora (in that order) It easily does the job and my 8yr old daughter loves riding in it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
8 of 10. my daughter loves riding back there and the carseat isnt too tough to put in, but its no suv. still cant beat mid engine car with a rear set of seats to put kids in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would say very practical for a 2+2 mid engine car. I am very surprised at how much I can get into the trunk. Just today, I bought $300 worth of food at Costco and it all fit into the car without having to break down any of the boxes. Had to put some of the stuff in the front and back seat though but no big deal. I compared my 2+2 to someone a couple of 2+0 and it looks almost like there is more space in the 2+2. Not sure why is that. Maybe just my eyes playing tricks.

In regards to child seats, it works fine for toddlers and kids but for infants, there maybe less choices as to what seat will fit best.

Check out this other thread.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/anyone-use-child-seats-back-evora-93107/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts