The Lotus Cars Community banner

How satisfied have you been with the Elise buying experience to date?

• Very Satified

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Worst buying experience ever

Votes: 12 14.3%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about this. Taking everything into account (cost, delays, communication, dealer service, the powerplant choice, etc.) how satisfied are you with your Elise buying experience to date? :confused:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would probably be more satisfied if I didn't compulsively check this board several times a day.

More communication would be nice, but I can't honestly say that the experience is any worse than I expected from a very small manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
so far everyone's buying experience is comprised of giving the dealership a deposit check and choosing your options (if you're an early lister).

everything else is self-imposed torture

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
atyclb said:

everything else is self-imposed torture
Except that this torture is further exacerbated by lack of info from 'reliable' sources, i.e. company, with the dealers in the dark as much as we are it can be frustrating when you hope for a demo on the lot now and then it's delayed till late next month etc. A little solid info would go a long way every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
No one has actually bought anything yet. Perhaps this thread will be more appropriate after we have cars:rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I voted "unsatisfied" only because I won't be "satisfied" (or have potential to be) until delivery. Otherwise, I'm neutral about everything else...

Positives...awesome car, awesome people, great expectations
Negatives..."the wait", the lack of information, the cost

Balances out...

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
AuS4 said:
I would probably be more satisfied if I didn't compulsively check this board several times a day.
Wow, I feel exactly the opposite about this. If this board didn't exist, I'd still think that I was getting my car sometime late this year.

There is a lot of information floating around here (maybe too much, and maybe too much speculation) but thats a heck of a lot more than what I get from my dealer -- which is essentially nothing.

Without this board, I'd probably be calling them every week to see if the demos have come in yet. With this board, I don't bother, because I know I'll find out the instant that demos start to arrive.

Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
I said neutral. Although I wish it was here faster and I REALLY wish the communication was better and more consistent, I can't complain about the smallish deposit amount ($1000) and the fully refundable part.

There are things they could have done better and A LOT of things that could have been worse (still could be...). BUT Lotus is a smallish company and on the priority of things, I'd put getting the car "right" way above worrying about keeping people on the waiting list happy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would probably be more satisfied if I didn't compulsively check this board several times a day
If it weren't for this board, I would have already dropped off the list. It's the only thing keeping me interested at this point

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thus far everything Lotus has released in the way of schedules has been wrong by a huge margin. People here complain that all they want is information. Lotus seems incapable of giving it accurately and has finally decided to stop trying. In my opinion they are doing the right thing. It's better to be vague than
wrong (again). The official stance that "your car will arrive when it arrives and the dealer will call you" is about as good as we're likely to get. The buying experience ? Nuetral. What do you expect
when you get on a list for a new car from another country ? I hope for pleasant surprises, but expect none.

Steve

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I anticipated the delays and will be pleasantly surprised if I get my car by December or January (#36 on the list).
The only things that have disappointed me to this point are the standard features that became options, essentially raising the price and the start button. Oh, and I'm not thrilled to see Arnie go.
I won't vote in this poll, because I really haven't had much of a buying experience yet.
So far as I know Lotus had been saying April '04 for the longest time, so a delay of a couple months doesn't seem that bad to me. I understand many of you are quite upset, I find it hard to pity someone that has to wait an extra couple of months to buy their $40,000+ toy car. If the cars were delayed another year, I could understand the frustration.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Im very happy with my dealer, LOA.

Lotus? Well if it werent for a few nice people at Lotus USA I'd have dropped off the list.

Lotus Hethel? I think buying a car from the CIA would be easier and more informative. I never expected to need Fox Mulder on my side when buying a car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Derek said:
No one has actually bought anything yet. Perhaps this thread will be more appropriate after we have cars:rolleyes:
Agree!

NO ONE on this forum has ever bought a car under these unpredictable conditions.
In the same vein as trying to compare the Elise to any other car, we can't expect Lotus to pull this unique venture without a hitch. Yes, I PO'ed about the whole experience, but in a few months, after a few top-off weekend drives in a car few others will ever experience, I think I can be forgiving.:)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
HOCKYDOC said:
Agree!

NO ONE on this forum has ever bought a car under these unpredictable conditions.
Those on the list early on for BMW M3's experienced a lot of the same issues--delivery dates pushed way back etc

·
Registered
479 Posts
Very satisfied.

Dealer at FVMC was professional and courteous to my wife when she talked to him. I have seen far too many dealers defer to the male present, but once it was intimated that it was to be her car his focus was on her. Every question was answered honestly (although sometimes wrongly) and I didn't feel we were being given the usual dealer run around.

We are far enough down on the waiting lists that the delay can't really bother me. I don't think I'd be too bothered if I were higher up the list either since I never thought I'd really have a shot at owning this car in the US anyway.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The Lotus experience has been horrific...

However, the dealer experience or the dealer I'm working through is amazing! If it weren't for Valenti's great customer management - I would have probably dropped of the list by now.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I suggest that the folks who voted 'unsatisfied' or 'worst buying experience ever' just drop off the list now, because clearly you have the wrong impression about what the ownership experience is going to be like as well.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
atyclb said:
I suggest that the folks who voted 'unsatisfied' or 'worst buying experience ever' just drop off the list now, because clearly you have the wrong impression about what the ownership experience is going to be like as well.
good ploy to move up on the list:clap:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts