The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at diving into the Elise deturbo quest very soon. I've found many posts about removing the rear clam, but i can't find any information on how delicate it is and how to store it. I only have a large one car garage, and would like to store it vertically or carry it to my basement. Are these safe options? Does it need a skeleton frame before doing more than a simple lift off?

Thanks!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i have not done it myself, but if i were in your space - i would look into securely hanging it on the wall....hollow side against the wall, tail lights up. You would not want it to fall though. The best way is probably sitting upright on the ground, with padding under the contact areas, if your basement will allow for that. Use two people during removal/transport if you can.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
I've done it three ways.

I made a rolling gantry from some 2 x 4 lumber with 2 1/2" casters. That allowed me store it above the Lotus and still park two cars in a two car garage. Because one end is open (at the bottom) to roll over the end of the car, it wasn't real stable, plus it had to be low enough to roll out the garage door. That put the clam perilously close to the Lotus.

My second method is to hang it from the ceiling using a block and tackle above the Lotus. I use a pair of 2" x 10' lift straps over a custom lift beam that catches the strap eyes securely. I like this ths best because one person can easily raise and lower the clam. It's not that it's heavy, it's just ungainly.

My third method is to just lay it on the floor using rags to cushion the four corners that touch the ground. A temporary measure, of course.

Gantry:

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1332692328.935174.jpg

Block and tackle:

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1332692880.342254.jpg

Glen

C

·
0 Posts
If you can Duplicate Glen's way, it's a great way for one man to do the install and keep it out of your way or work under the clam or boot.

What we normally do is Stack 2 tires on top of each other and set the boot on top of it, then we place two 50lb plates (Weightlifting plates) in the boot over the tires. This way the clam is up off the ground and it makes it work on the interior of the boot or exterior of the clam or fettling of the exige intake.

I'll post pics then I get back to the shop.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, One thing I'm gathering is that the clamshell is not as delicate as I had feared. I'm a bit nervous to try to take it in the house due to my doorways, but it sounds like the basement it a very realistic option. I have plenty of room down there.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Ummm really.....a Block & Tackle to lift the rear clam ?!?!?! Guess it must be pretty heavy !! -eek-:rolleyes:

C

·
0 Posts
Here you go, this is what I was refering too. If you can get it to fit through the house and into a basement, my hat is off to you. :popcorn:

There are two 50lb plates in the boot. Just throw a sheet over it and you are good to go. 2nd picture demonstrates how sturdy it is, it won't even budge when we fettle out and rework the intake.

LT Clam Stand.jpg

LT Fettle.jpg

Have Fun, Let us know if you manage to get it down to the basement.

- Chris

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Ummm really.....a Block & Tackle to lift the rear clam ?!?!?! Guess it must be pretty heavy !! -eek-:rolleyes:
I thought AME checked pilots for reading comprehension rotfl

It's not that it's heavy, it's just ungainly.
I can lift the clam and move it around by myself, but I'd rather it doesn't fall on top of my nifty Lotus during the next 7.9 earthquake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts