The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always start on the drivers side when putting the soft top back on, but when I get to the passenger side it takes quite a bit of force (along with quite a bit of creaking from the rollbar cover) to push down the passenger end into place. Wondering if everyone’s fits this snug or if my cable is losing its elasticity.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Mine are snug. They are adjustable...

·
Registered
735 Posts
See attached photo taken from MWR of a replacement cable. Note the end with the nut on it is adjustable...

MWR-B116V0064H-01-mwr.jpg

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
Mine's good and snug (and factory, as the car only has about 25K on it), but not a lot of creaking during installation. The front cable pulls the top down into the trough in the windshield header, so it has to have some tension. The rear one has to be fairly tight so that it doesn't allow the rear of the top to flap or drum against the rollbar cover.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,559 Posts
This memory could completely be reconstruction instead of recollection, but I thought you were supposed to start with passenger side first and then move to driver's side ? No idea why, but I thought I had read that at some point in time.

Mine fits snug. I have always had more difficulty getting the passenger side to align if I did Driver's side first. Driver's side seems to go in fine. I dunno?

·
Registered
735 Posts
ah good to know.. on a separate note, >150k 2006 Elise?
:oops:
Yes, that is not a typo!

This memory could completely be reconstruction instead of recollection, but I thought you were supposed to start with passenger side first and then move to driver's side ? No idea why, but I thought I had read that at some point in time.

Mine fits snug. I have always had more difficulty getting the passenger side to align if I did Driver's side first. Driver's side seems to go in fine. I dunno?
Per the Owners Manual:

NOTICE: Engaging the left hand side rail first, will minimize the possibility of the canopy tensioning cable adjusters causing damage to the roof rails.

Reactions: glb

·
Registered
92 Posts
  1. Softop Removal/Install - Start & end on the passenger side every time. Many have suggested that the left will do as long as you're consistent, but this post indicates otherwise. Focusing on placing the front end in first may help prevent paint damage at the rear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  1. Softop Removal/Install - Start & end on the passenger side every time. Many have suggested that the left will do as long as you're consistent, but this post indicates otherwise. Focusing on placing the front end in first may help prevent paint damage at the rear.

I don't see how that thread suggests that you should start on the passenger side when re-installing. The manual says to take off starting on the passenger side and to put back starting on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Doesn't matter which side you start rolling it out on. Definitely better if you lock down the turnbuckle 1st. The non-turnbuckle is more flexible to take the full tension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts