The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to aiming my headlights. Removing the front wheel well liners and the headlight covers were easy. Marking spots on the wall in front of the car that were level and aligned with the center of the car was time consuming. Actually aiming the headlights took a bit of time. Assembling the headlight cover took more time because the inside of the lamp bezel interfers with the lights themselves and so the bezel needs to be trimmed slightly.

I found the low beam lights have an adjustment for the pattern. You can have a horizontal pattern or you can have the light flare up and to the right of center. The picture below shows the left beam adjusted for a flat cutoff and the right shows the flare up and to the right. The cars are delivered with the flare as in the right headlamp.

Instructions for adjusting the lights can be found on my website:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/maintenance/adjustheadlamps/adjustheadlamps.html

There are other ways of doing it but this worked for me,

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Both flares are useful as it adds longer range illumination and doesn't cause problems with blinding oncoming traffic as usually in europe the beams are also aimed so the passenger side beam is parallel to the road and the driver's side is angled slightly towards the passenger side, so the beams cross/'come together' about 100ft in front of the car. From the top it's a bit like a /| pattern..

The lever is there for driving a LHD car in an RHD country so you can 'cut off' the flare as this would cause blinding.

It does not 'convert' the pattern to an RHD patter, just removes the bit that causes problems in these cases.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Thanks Michael. I found them useful and also referenced Yelotus's notes.

Easy to perform, except one of the clips for the driver side headlamp cover moved slightly when I set it on my table, which made it impossible to feed one of the hex screws back in to fasten it.

Looks like you need a monkey wrench to adjust the high beam lamps? My tools did not suffice, so I left those alone for now.

- J

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Vantage said:
Looks like you need a monkey wrench to adjust the high beam lamps? My tools did not suffice, so I left those alone for now.
The proper sized GearWrench worked just fine for me. Tedious because you don't get much of a swing, but it works fine...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts