The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the correct answer is to get a cage, but that is a later this year project. For now, how can I attach the roof to the front window frame the most securely. It appears that most of the frame is just foam? Is there a part on top, or near the channel that is solid? Does anyone have a picture of one cut in half for some reason?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
There has to be solid in there for rollover protection, but drilling into that will surely weaken it. How much? Who knows, but I would rather focus on utilizing the factory points for the roof at the corners.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There has to be solid in there for rollover protection, but drilling into that will surely weaken it. How much? Who knows, but I would rather focus on utilizing the factory points for the roof at the corners.
Wont work, the roof is not nearly stiff enough for that. Has to be closer to the center.

There is no way that the factory window provides ANY rollover protection. Have you leaned on it? And the whole operation is just glued to the car.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,406 Posts
You could just put a brace down the middle of the windshield. I've seen a couple of these on race cars with the Lexan windshields, maybe that would work until you have a cage.

·
Registered
998 Posts
How would you attach the roof to the cage? I would think there is a little bit of flex between the windshield frame and the forward roll hoop.

It sounds like you need a series of threaded nut inserts in the windshield frame. Fasten the top down with countersunk allen screws and aluminum conical washers (used on racing karts).

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
And the whole operation is just glued to the car.
The whole car is glued together, so that's not a very strong argument. That being said, I checked the service manual and the frame is ICSRTM (same as the Elise front and rear clamshells). You can probably sand it down enough to get a lean surface and then epoxy hardware on to attach the roof with. Maybe something like four or five threaded inserts.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
If you are going to put a cage in, figure out where the mounts will be for the cage. Make bars that run front to rear and put clamps that clamp the windshield frame and rear roll over structure . Think of the rear center roof bracket times 4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts