The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
How long ago was this recorded? It's like watching a train wreck, it's so horrible I can't stop listening. Good thing there are only 2 minutes left. I'll be free soon :)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
usofrob said:
How long ago was this recorded? It's like watching a train wreck, it's so horrible I can't stop listening. Good thing there are only 2 minutes left. I'll be free soon :)
Ahahahahaahha! I know, I know, there was no escape, not even for the talk show host :D

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
OMG!!! Damn, this guy's a fool!! LOL!!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think I will sell my spot in line and get one of those radar-invisible IROC -Z's:D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
OMG, I couldn't get past the part on how they "wash and wax the stealth bomber every day on account of how shiny surfaces reflect radar better." I actually feel dumber for having heard this guy.

For anyone who's thinking of duplicating this technique, don't. Shiny surfaces DO reflect radar better... that makes them BETTER for radar detection. In fact, if you've got a shiny BMW vanity plate up front, that makes you an easy target. Dull, non reflective, non-normal surfaces are best.

The Elise should do well against radar from the front (assuming you don't mount a vanity plate), but from behind, we're screwed.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
transio said:
In fact, if you've got a shiny BMW vanity plate up front, that makes you an easy target.
Not if you get the neon light plate cover :D

Or you could just lecture the cop on how he's just jealous and warn him of your constitutional rights!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Well, I'm not so sure about posting this, because it's probably just coincidence, but I get pulled over A LOT, and I've found that the best way to get out of a speeding ticked is what I call "absolute sincerity" - of course, with respect. That is... you run a red light and the officer pulls you over and asks the usual, "You know why I pulled you over?" You don't say, "Err, no..." You say, "Yeah, you got me! I ran that red light, sir." Be friendly, but not familiar, and be completely honest. If you were speeding and he asks, "You know how fast you were going?" You tell him your top speed. "Yes, sir, I was doing about 90." He probably clocked you at 85, and is shocked that you would admit doing faster than he clocked you at. He might say something like, "What's the rush?" Tell the truth. "I don't know, man, some guy cut me off and I was pissed and nailed the gas and it made me feel better. It was stupid, I know. Sorry, sir."

Anyhow, that works for me most of the time. I'd say about 80 - 90% of the time with city or county cops. Some caveats: it DOES NOT work with state troopers, so don't even bother trying. You'll just frustrate yourself. I think it's less effective outside your region, too. It seems to work better with people who can associate better and empathize with you. I just got a ticket in Georgia. I felt like the guy was sympathetic towards me, because I was trying to make time so I could get back to Miami before too late. He still gave me a ticket, though. He was just a home-grown southern boy, and here I am this big city slicker coming through HIS little town doing 18 over the speed limit. He couldn't empathize, and I drove away with a ticket. Empathy is the key. Tell the truth and the cop can empathize. They know how frustrating it is to have some slow a-hole block you up for 5 blocks, and they can empathize with you, and they will often not ticket you for it if you tell the truth about it. Just don't put the blame on others and don't lie. Accept the responsibility and be respectful!

Anyhow, maybe this is meaningless gibberish. Afterall, I just got a ticket. LOL. Anyhow, it's worked for me, and it's gotten me out of about 50 tickets.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
are you sure you aren't just showing your tatoos and Marlboros and intimidating the cops:D

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Transio, i think you got it exactly right. I have always done this and have gotten out of a ticket 90% of the time. It's the only way to go about it and eating a little crow can certainly keep your record and wallet in tacked. Small price to pay if you ask me.

ivan1 :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think it is possible he got out of half of his tickets, but I don't think it's because of the reasons he described. I think it's because the officers felt pity for him. And often times, they will let you off a ticket, if you already have a few tickets.

Oh, and! since when is 270 hp a huge amount of hp, and how do T-tops and a chain link steering wheel make you go faster? He must not live in a place that uses Cameros as police cars. I have no doubt they could catch up quicker than he'd like to believe. Also, he was saying he once got it up to 90, and that was really cruizing. I don't get on the freeway much, but 90 is just getting warmed up. 120+ is getting pretty fast, at least for my car. And, heck in the Elise, I doubt you'd feel too unsafe until you got to at least 135 as long as there wasn't any other traffic on the freeway. Ok, I've said too much. Bye :)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
you forgot the Yosemite Sam mud flaps!! LOL!!!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Transio, I think that's great advice, but I would offer this suggestion: never, ever admit you were traveling any specific speed. Admit you were driving fast, that's fine, but never give out a number. If you do, I think you'd lose any basis you have for fighting the ticket later (assuming you end up getting one). If the cop remembers what you told him/her (and if they're smart, they'll make a note of your admission), you'd have to convince the judge that you were lying to the cop when you told your speed...and that's not gonna make you look good.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
transio
i agree with your method. I did that once and i got a warning. however, a couple months ago i got my first speeding ticket. I wasn't exactly sincere. He asked me why I was speeding and I replied, "I didn't notice." LOL! Boy, I got nailed after that statement. But, I didn't care I was F-in pissed that morning. But after $400 later i'm still pissed.

The elise will be tricky, radar tends to pass through fiberglass. So i'm guessing that anything the cop pics up will be from the tub. As far as the back is conserned the engine will be the reflector.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Re: speeding in the Elise: just remember that the cops probably know the car and will be hot on it. If you're really outgoing and friendly with them, they may strike up a conversation about it.

Re: not giving away your speed: I know what you're saying, but that's the risk you take. like I said, 90% of the time the cop will appreciate your sincerity and won't ticket you at all. Even if you DON'T admit your speed, you're pretty much screwed in court, anyway. Believe me, I've been enough times to know. If you go to court, plead "no lo contendere" and pray the judge decides not to adjudicate you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts