The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a constant check engine light on my 05 Elise and I went to an auto parts store that reads the codes for free. He hooked up his computer to the Elise but could not get an established connection. Tried several times but with no luck. Is there a procedure to do this with an Elise that is different from other cars? One thing I didnt think of at the time was to turn the immobilizer off. Might that be why no connection was established? Should I have used the fob to prepare for starting the car before trying to read the code?

Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
733 Posts
there is no special procedure to read obd data from the 2005 car. that being said, there are some reports of damaged ecus which do not respond to obd queries but work okay otherwise.

the obd protocol is iso9141-2, so the code reader needs to use this protocol. some code readers auto select protocol based on where they see signals, so they might get confused by the presence of the CAN data that controls the gauge cluster. when this happens it is usually revealed by misbehavior of the gauge cluster while the obd tool is failing to connect.

in order to read obd queries, the ecu must be powered on (key in on position). i don't know if this is tied in any way to the immobilizer (the ecu code, at least, is not tied to the immobilizer).

as before, since you're relatively close to me, I'll offer to help you read the cel with my obd tool.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Most OBD readers wont work in the elige. I ended up with this one that does. There are others, but I was not able to get any parts store readers to work.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Most OBD readers wont work in the elige. I ended up with this one that does. There are others, but I was not able to get any parts store readers to work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The bluetooth OBDII readers that plug in are awesome. I leave mine connected all the time and run the Torque Pro app on my Android tablet. Full diagnostics and allows code resets. Also gives you a full customizable dash. My newest project... Mounting to the steering wheel. PM me with your phone number and I can explain how it works.

Attachments

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Any word if this reader works on the Evora? Probably not, but thought I’d ask.
For the Elise I use Innova 3100a reader and it can read/clear codes. I already had it in my arsenal but works just fine on the Elise. They are not the cheapest reader, around $100 or so online but it hasn't failed me yet on any vehicle.

Hey @ShadowWulf369 ...On the Evora I use GoPoint's Bluetooth adapter (the Innova I mentioned above works as well). I bought the BT1A that works with both Apple and Android. It also comes with a $50 coupon to download the full version of DashCommand from what ever app store you use. It's a great app that let's you view/clear codes as well as a TON of vehicle monitoring options i.e. gauges, timers etc.

Products | GoPoint Technology

Here is a little video I made of the adapter working with Dashcommand via my head unit in the Evora. I have been using this for a couple years now and it works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went to AutoZone and had them read the codes. With the car on but not running it recorded the data. They then took the reader inside where they hooked it up to their computer to display the codes. The computer wanted to know what type of car before it would display date, but didn't have lotus option. I told him to punch in 2005 Celica GTS and it worked - it output my codes. However I'm sure I could have told him literally any OBD2 car and it would have worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts