The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried looking this up online but all the references I found discussed cleaning the OUTSIDE of the exhaust. Mine's staying shiny bright on the outside, but the inside is developing the usual coating of black soot. I suspect it will be easier to keep clean than to let it accumulate and then try to correct it later.

Any tribal lore about cleaning that, and keeping it clean?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hit 2nd cam as much as possible :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally serious. If the black was even I might care less, but it's just the bottom of the inside. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it. Why not keep it clean?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried looking this up online but all the references I found discussed cleaning the OUTSIDE of the exhaust. Mine's staying shiny bright on the outside, but the inside is developing the usual coating of black soot. I suspect it will be easier to keep clean than to let it accumulate and then try to correct it later.

Any tribal lore about cleaning that, and keeping it clean?

Thanks!
Elbow grease, soap and water and degreaser would be my advice. Just make sure the exhaust tips are cool to the touch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like to use nevrdull it's only like 10$ you can buy it at almost any local auto store, comes in a silver tin. It's some kinda of chemically treated fabric you just rip off a little piece and wipe that black soot junk away. Might be hard if you have alot of buildup(elbow grease time) but just do it one a month or so and it will take 2 minutes to keep it shiny

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like to use nevrdull it's only like 10$ you can buy it at almost any local auto store, comes in a silver tin. It's some kinda of chemically treated fabric you just rip off a little piece and wipe that black soot junk away. Might be hard if you have alot of buildup(elbow grease time) but just do it one a month or so and it will take 2 minutes to keep it shiny View attachment 1268353
Are those inside scratches in the exhaust caused by the scrubbing sponge?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No they were always there. That pipe was never mirror polished I think those lines are just from manufacturing. I tend to clean it in a circle following the shape, not by pushing in and out

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Used after virtually every drive...... (Of course, I've also been known to drop my stainless straight pipe and buff that on the buffing stand. Even though nobody can see it 😜 )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Used after virtually every drive...... (Of course, I've also been known to drop my stainless straight pipe and buff that on the buffing stand. Even though nobody can see it 😜 )

View attachment 1268354
Second the use of this if you have little scratches and want re mirror finish, this is the way to go. But don't think you need this for a quick clean just to get the soot off

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I promised a photo, so here it is. I suspect the longer this builds up the harder it will be to remove, but I don't want to make it WORSE by doing something that damages that inside surface.

I'll explore the recommendations you folks have given above. Thank you!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Chrome Orange, that is a very interesting spherical Dremel sponge in your photo. I've never seen that before and I have a LOT of Dremel stuff. Where did you find it?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Hey Chrome Orange, that is a very interesting spherical Dremel sponge in your photo. I've never seen that before and I have a LOT of Dremel stuff. Where did you find it?
The red foam is a Mothers Mini polishing ball. I actually use that one with a cordless drill (didn't bother to get out for photo). Mothers now has a 360 power cone that I'll probably buy next time. It looks like it would work better.

The white Dremel wheel is a standard Dremel polishing wheel. They make a bunch of different ones.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Inspired by the comments here, I used degreaser on first some paper towels and then some 0000 steel wool. No more than 30-60 seconds and now it looks like this:

Not bad for a minute's effort. There's some darkness at the bottom near the pipe but I suspect that's thermal discoloration. The darkness around the top edge looks like metal-forming stress marks so I'm not worried about them. Next time I clean it I'll investigate a bit more closely. If it looks like it could come off I'll get some of those Dremel foam balls and those other magic cleaning chemicals.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Looks good. I thought you were trying to clean inside the pipe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I'm not that crazy. Exhaust PIPES get dirty. But the tip is attractive and the fact that it was getting dirty only at the bottom just looked like its owner is being sloppy and doesn't care. For ~60 seconds it's a nice little detail to clean up.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts