The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a Viper alarm installed with 2-way paging...I had this done at a local shop and they couldn't find out where the Cobra brain was...so they could NOT remove/deactivate it. I wanted a this new alarm for the paging aspect but also because I CANT STAND the Cobra alarm...the 2nd button to deactivate the ignition kill drives me nuts!

can anyone tell me how to kill the Cobra alarm or can Lotus even do it?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I just thought of something too, I have my manual in my car so I'll look later, but check if there is a fuse for the alarm, that should take care of it I think.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I just checked the manual, the fuse operates both the alarm pwr and the interior lamp. The immobiliser is in a different fuse so I don't know how it will affect that.

Also, I don't know if the car will open and close normally without the alarm system being powered.

The fuse box diagram is on page 136 of the manual. There is also a paragraph on page 33 that looks promising:

Emergency disarming/mobilising

If the transmitter fobs are lost or damaged, the alarm system owner's unique PIN may be used to disarm the alarm and/or mobilise the engine provided that access is available to the cabin. Follow the transmitter fob programming instructions (see page 18) from step 3.

I don't know if they are refering to the alarm manual or what.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>the 2nd button to deactivate the ignition kill drives me nuts!

There's a use for that second button? I've only ever used the larger button (for both lock/unlock and immobilizer kill).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
madguppy said:
I just had a Viper alarm installed with 2-way paging...
The Cobra has an extra "unused" output signal. You can wire this to activate the cars horn (hopefully through a relay), or it can be used to trigger another device such as a pager system. The output signal can be programmed to be on continuously or "pulsed" when the alarm is triggered. I would consider adding a pager transmitter to the car before I would remove the integrated alarm system.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
doma said:
>the 2nd button to deactivate the ignition kill drives me nuts!

There's a use for that second button? I've only ever used the larger button (for both lock/unlock and immobilizer kill).
I seem to remember that the small button has something to do with "valet mode", but since I never intend to ever need it, I promptly ignored the instructions.

As for the "second button" to deactivate the ignition kill, you have to be quicker. Pressing the big button unlocks the door, deactivates the alarm, and deactivates the immobilizer. The Immobilizer automatically re-activates itself after a short period. If you press the big button, get in the car and insert the key in the ignition quick enough, you don't need to press it again. At first, I always "timed-out", but now I get in the car with time to spare - and no, I'm not hurrying...

·
Registered
653 Posts
the other button

The smaller button turns on the microwave sensor.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Re: the other button

reganfin said:
Actually it's on by default. I think the small button temporarily turns it off - or something.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: the other button

reganfin said:
Actually, the smaller button DEactivates the motion sensor. Press it twice after locking the car (it beeps after each press) to deactivate the sensor.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
atyclb said:
this is like asking how to dismantle an atomic bomb

I thought the correct answer was with love and care, but I like this one better:eek:
http://www.htdaab.com

If you cant figure out how to program your VCR do not try this at home, unless you have ear protection:

According to the alarm manual you can change the defaults on the alarm by doing some difficult think like inserting the key and pressing some buttons on the key fob in a specific sequence, while counting the number of blinking lights that are flashing, and then turning the key off and on in the ignition switch as the light blinks a certaint number of times.

Mine has a 45 second delay before it arms, but I think other people have stated that theirs arms after 10 seconds, so I guess that some are programmed differently or the person that installed it hit a certain button x number of times instead of y

I was thinking about playing around with mine to see if i could get it to automatically arm once the door is closed, but was afraid I would never figure out how to fix it in the event that I screwed up. Besides my car insurance company gives me a discount based upon the type of alarm that is standard in the car, so I would never want to disable it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts