The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up some engine work and want to make sure everything is OK before putting it back together by driving it 50-100 miles. I have the battery secured with 2 bunge cords and any loose wires with zip ties. The cross support from the roll bar is still out. Should it be OK to drive?

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Be careful, depending on state laws you could get nailed. Down here in AL there is no chance, they drive without brakes and use their shoes, but other states may frown upon it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, no tail lights and turn signals could be a problem but that's why they have hand signals. More worried about the battery flying off in a sharp turn which I'll avoid.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Use some southern ingenuity for that.............Duct tape!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Ask him :shrug:

6183403425_925f21e661_b.jpg

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
More worried about the battery flying off in a sharp turn which I'll avoid.
No way are bungees sufficient. One good bump and you're dragging that battery. How about some ratchet straps?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
too funny...but doesn't that license plate get in the way of the radar/laser detector looking out the back window? Oh wait....no back window...

·
Registered
236 Posts
What is with the mohawk roof?
Could be an Exige with aftermarket supercharger? Frontclam is from an Exige.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I think the picture was posted by Larry in his Photoblog.
There was some story behind this. I think the pic was taken during a hill climb race.
The car had an accident during one of the runs and the mechanics were not able to button everything back up before he had to run again. So the solution was tie straps and duct tape. They must have forgotten to tie-strap the super charger / charge air cooler back on....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the price of clams, I don't think I would enter any track event with either clam still attached to the car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I live in Potomac. As long as I have a tag on it and not driving stupid I should be fine. The only problem would be the lack of a seat belt. I would just tell the officer I'm taking it for a test drive before putting it back together. Cop would be having a real slow day to pull me over, and be a bit of a jerk to give me a ticket. N.VA is a police state compared to Montgomery county. Lot of younger cops here who are into cars.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
At first I thought those red things were gears and wondering why there were gears and belts in that area. Then I realized they were the taillights and some kind of tape or belts to secure them. :facepalm
At least he has a tow hook on there. Last thing you would want to do is scratch the paint... Oh wait.

:panic:

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,437 Posts
No way are bungees sufficient. One good bump and you're dragging that battery. How about some ratchet straps?
False. I had exactly two bungees holding my battery down when I was driving without my clam. It worked perfectly. I ripped around the industrial park many times. The battery didn't budge.

Lol, A few years back I drove my Elise around in the winter with no clams, no top, no seats, and no doors. It was a blast! I truly felt like a care free child... especially because my neighbor's son was out on his quad doing the same thing I was doing... being an idiot and having some fun. rotfl

·
Registered
712 Posts
I live in Potomac. As long as I have a tag on it and not driving stupid I should be fine. The only problem would be the lack of a seat belt. I would just tell the officer I'm taking it for a test drive before putting it back together. Cop would be having a real slow day to pull me over, and be a bit of a jerk to give me a ticket. N.VA is a police state compared to Montgomery county. Lot of younger cops here who are into cars.
You may have convinced me to move out of NoVa.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts