The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently picked up some nice carbon fiber side scoops.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172/carbon-fiber-side-scoops-fits-exige-exige-s-43739/

They do not come with grills, and the holes are too small to use the stock washers. I did not want to destroy my stock scoops to finish them off. So I decided to order some mesh and do the job myself. Got the mesh from customcargrills.com, I got the small diamond 6" x 36" mesh.

Total cost: Less than $400 + 2 hours time.
Here is how I went about creating new grills. I swear they turned out perfectly. :nanner:

Parts needed.
- Carbon Fiber side scoops
- Sheet of gloss black powdercoated small diamond mesh
- Black silicon adhesive/sealer
- Hole griniding bit

Measure depth of new hole to be made with stock scoop. Marked the bit to make sure I didn't grind too much away on the carbon scoops.

You can see the carbon scoop holes are too small

Drilled and now fit the stock washers

Traced basic outline of grill shape onto cardstock

You can see the cut out (had to trim a little more) to fit INSIDE the stock grill.

Now I am making a second template for the cutting of the actual mesh.
Notice the spacings. 3/4" where it attaches, and 1/2" for the rest. (actually tapers to nothing near the bottom).

My 2 templates

Cut 2 mesh grills with the large template. Used a dremel with cutting wheel as tin snips would have mangled the thing. This is the hardest part.

Finished cut grills with mesh center template behind.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
PART 2

Next, you need to find some chunks of wood. Particle board works great, and drill them together to create a sandwich.

Trace your small template (for the inside) on the wood.

Bust out your trusty jigsaw, and cut that thing out!

Now you'll hopefully have a piece that fits INSIDE the STOCK grill just like the template.

Take one of your new cut pieces of mesh and place it BETWEEN the wood making sure to align the 3/4" and 1/2" outside edge parts.

Use a rubber mallet, and (depending on which side your doing), start bending the mesh down. I cut some relief cuts on the corners, worked well.

Now you should have a nicely made scoop mesh!!!

Here's my pair (I actually made sure to 'mirror' the mesh so they were both pointing the same direction)

Now to adhere them with the black silicon/adhesive. Before doing this, you need to curve your new mesh a little by rocking it across your thigh to fit the curve of the scoops. First layer of gooo...

Put on the new mesh, you can still bend it a bit to make sure it fits perfectly, and then added another layer of silicon goo...

FINISHED GRILLS! I swear these look factory.

Fit and contour is perfect.

Last crappy pic.

I need to get some better outside pix in the sun later...

CHEERS!!!!
Skottoman

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fantastic job. I was wondering how you were going to fold the sides in but that wood jig worked perfect. Pics on car?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Great job! Got any shot of the difference in the mesh between stock and the small diamond you got?

I'll probably end up doing something like this but wanted some larger spacing in the mesh for more air flow.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got any shot of the difference in the mesh between stock and the small diamond you got?
Here is a comparison pic before I started cutting. I'd say there is more airflow with this diamond grill compared to stock. So in addition to 'bling', I guess I've improved airflow.

Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very nice Skottoman!
Too bad I don't have time or skill to make them by myself. :(
I will just have to use the stock grill to fit on the CF scoops when I get them.
Unless you can make one for me... :p
Just looked up on lotustgarage for the grill but I don't see Exige parts... only Elise side grilles.... anyone know if they carry Exige grilles?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yup, does look like more airflow, yet still matches stock pattern. Great job. Since you got the mold down now and probably some spare material you should hammer out a few more for the rest of us. :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Outside shots. You can see it much better here.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job...are those molds available for rent :)
If you're in the Bay Area, I'm sure they can be available. :)
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
349 Posts
Man, Very Nice & Detail Write-Up

since you made the molds for the grills
You can start a little group buy & put it in production rotfl

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick update. I have gotten to drive around with the new scoops/grills, and I have been noticing that freeway temps seem to be 2-4 degrees less with the new grills.

Dunno if I'm on crack or not but even today which is a quite hot day, I seem to have cooler water temps by a few degrees.

Maybe I'm on crack but I don't think I remember taking a crack pipe to work? :D
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i'm very impressed, now the bad news. we found that removing the grills makes the car run 2-3 deg cooler and the temp comes down faster. Removing the stock exige s grills can be a bitch. use a heat gun on the black goo and get a blade between the screen and the vent. by the way i think it looks better with them in.. carl

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
now the bad news. we found that removing the grills makes the car run 2-3 deg cooler and the temp comes down faster.
This is bad news? Seems to be I accomplished some sort of improved cooling while keeping the grills in there.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well done Skottoman, I reckon you should get a kit together and sell it to members whom are too lazy and want a simple turn-key solution with one complete product. I'm sure, you can make some extra $$$ with your handy work.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts