The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Well done Skottoman, I reckon you should get a kit together and sell it to members whom are too lazy and want a simple turn-key solution with one complete product. I'm sure, you can make some extra $$$ with your handy work.
agreed! Hell, just preform the mesh and mail it out as orders come in. I think I'd seriously be interested in that :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The carbon scoops may be just slightly bigger as you can use them as a cover, but the grills I made fit just perfectly. I did not have to take any larger size into account. Was easy to do.

I'm thinking I might be able to scan the templates in and make a PDF that you could print and cut out. Would save the work of making them yourself.. Dunno if it would work, but maybe. I'll try it...
Cheers,
Skottoman

the side scoops that bluejae sells are bigger than the stocks right? did you have to account for that in making the new grills?

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
The carbon scoops may be just slightly bigger as you can use them as a cover, but the grills I made fit just perfectly. I did not have to take any larger size into account. Was easy to do.

I'm thinking I might be able to scan the templates in and make a PDF that you could print and cut out. Would save the work of making them yourself.. Dunno if it would work, but maybe. I'll try it...
Cheers,
Skottoman
that would be a great help! where did you get the material from? did i miss that?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
that would be a great help! where did you get the material from? did i miss that?
Got the mesh from customcargrills.com, I got the small diamond 6" x 36" mesh.

I'll have to remember to try the scan thing...
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
191 Posts
:bump: for a great DIY

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Got the mesh from customcargrills.com, I got the small diamond 6" x 36" mesh.

I'll have to remember to try the scan thing...
Cheers,
Skottoman
any chance on getting that scan? not in a hurry, so much as just a friendly reminder :) at some point, i'd like to do this too. i'm all about more airflow to the engine bay thanks to the paranoia one developes during ownership of an RX-7 :eek:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
any chance on getting that scan? not in a hurry, so much as just a friendly reminder :)
Ah, sorry about that, forgot to update... I tried to scan it, but was having trouble with my scanner. Also only the inside mesh template actually fit on the scanner, the outside mesh template was too big. Guess I'll have to try it again...

Honestly, it's really not that hard to make the paper templates... the hardest part of the whole thing was cutting the mesh with the dremel and cutting wheel...

Cheers,
Skottoman

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Ah, sorry about that, forgot to update... I tried to scan it, but was having trouble with my scanner. Also only the inside mesh template actually fit on the scanner, the outside mesh template was too big. Guess I'll have to try it again...

Honestly, it's really not that hard to make the paper templates... the hardest part of the whole thing was cutting the mesh with the dremel and cutting wheel...

Cheers,
Skottoman
I guess I'll just have to stop being so lazy and do it myself :) thanks for the idea though!

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
how close in size is the small diamond mesh from the online shop to that of the rest of the exige's stock mesh?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
how close in size is the small diamond mesh from the online shop to that of the rest of the exige's stock mesh?
It is much smaller. You can see the comparison pic with the stock grill mesh earlier in this thread.

It IS the same pattern though, and I'd imagine their standard size mesh is just slightly larger to what Lotus used for the rest of the Exige mesh. Could use that too I guess. You'd get more flow, but be able to see through the scoop more...

Here is the large mesh they carry. They appear to be 1" spacing. The stock Exige mesh appears to be about 3/4" spacing...

Welcome to customcargrills.com

Cheers,
Skottoman

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
thanks! i knew it was larger than the stock grill on the side intakes, but wasn't sure if it was the same size as the rest of the mesh...

:up:

·
Registered
191 Posts
hrm.. so is the sector111 side scoops larger than the stock one?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
*bump*

Maybe this thread can be moved to a sticky. I'd see people wanting to make their own grills, and this could help them. I end up searching for it and re-posting it...

Cheers,
Skottoman

21 - 37 of 37 Posts