The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Love it! Another reason to look back as I walk away after parking. The new style mirrors sit higher, stick out slightly, and more forward than old style. Does help more with blind spots but not perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Nice elephant ears folks, to each their own.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
602 Posts
So I was feeling exceptionally OCD, and decided to see how much weight I can take out of a set of V6 mirror mounts to compensate for the added weight of CF + resin that I'll have my friend cover them later.

Picture 1: Stock Picture 2: Removal of internal cast spruces Picture 3: Colin Chapman weight diet

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Read through the whole thread..and need to ask if there is a step by step pictoral demonstration to removing the factory mirrors? I removed the 3 stickers, i see some of the screws, but im afraid they wont come out from the tiny holes. Is there a better method? And if the screws do fall in, how do you get them out? Not understanding the magnet thing either

·
Registered
240 Posts
If the screws fall in you can pull the interior door panel off and reach inside to get them, it's just a bit of a pain in the ass so try not to drop one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
what size are the three hex screws holding the mirror to the door? i can confirm the top one is a 3mm, but cant get the bottom two out with a 3, 4, or 5mm hex key

·
Registered
413 Posts
They should all be the same size. At least in my experience.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did the design change recently? DeRoure is showing new PN's for the Exige V6 mirror parts:

A138U4013F: LH Plinth Assembly
A138U4014F: RH Plinth Assembly

There are no caps and the mirror housing is a different part number as well.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yes, Lotus made a change to both the mirror body and the "stalk". You can still order the older v6 style that mates up to the even older mirror body. One of the internal stems on my drivers side mirror body broke. I have been going back and forth on just replacing the body or upgrading. Haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Oh, and I would really like to see a picture of the new style and how they attach. There is no hardware shown between the mirror body and the stalk. Looks like they may snap together?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ah good to hear. The new parts are quite a bit more $$$ especially considering the fact that you can't re-use your old mirror housings.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think you can re-use the existing mirror housings. I went ahead and ordered the new style Exige V6 stalks.

I pulled one of my existing mirror housings apart. The outer painted portion of the housing (the main piece) looks identical to what is in the parts diagram. The adjustment portion between the housing and the stalk appears to be built into the new V6 stalk. I will update this thread when I receive the new stalks.

Besides being heavy, the Elise stalks do not provide a robust mount to support the mirrors. Only one of the two plastic pins on the mirror have a screw securing it where both pins are secured in the OEM mirror application. I also notices the OEM mirror application has much longer plastic pins, and they are cut shorter when installed in the Elige applications.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can someone put together a DIY step by step instructions with pics on removal and install of side view mirrors? Cant find the pdf to the old sector111 instructions as the link no longer works, and all these explanations using magnets is not making sense to me lol. Thanks i advance?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Confirmed, the existing mirror housings can be reused. Here is the new V6 Exige mirror plinth. It comes from Lotus with both halves bonded together and with the ajustement and bellows attached.

Part numbers are A138U4013F for the left side and A138U4014F for the right side. Total, including shipping from Deroure was about £75.

Separating the mirror from the housing was a bit of a pain. It took a lot of patience, but I was able to get them apart without scratching the paint.

I included a picture of the existing mirror housing after disassembly. Once the push on star washer is pried off, the whole adjustment assembly comes apart.

The outer mirror housing is held onto the new plinth with the spring. Once I determine paint/coating on the plinth, they will just slide together and be held in place with the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are the adjustment and bellows removable for painting or do they have to be masked?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thought I would share some pics. I am running the stock plinths again, but I may install them again in the future.
Note: The V6 Plinths do project forward so from a front 3/4 view the mirrors stick out quite a bit, but that may also be due to the mirrors still in orange...

What do you guys think?

Attachments

Reactions: shay2nak
101 - 120 of 126 Posts