The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How To: Exige V6 Side Mirrors

38K views 125 replies 35 participants last post by  urBan_dK 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about this modification for a long time now. I was never a fan of the stock mirror plinths for the Elige, they always looked a little bloated. The new ones on the V6 Exige S are much slimmer and more modern-looking. Before we begin I want to give credit to LotusCC for trying this out on his Elise and confirming the fitment.

Alright, let's get started. For starters you will want to order:

1 B138B4023F Plinth Mirror LH Lotus £5.91
1 B138B4024F Plinth Mirror RH Lotus £5.91
1 B138B4103F Cap Mirror Plinth LH Lotus £3.03
1 B138B4104F Cap Mirror Plinth RH Lotus £3.03

That's right, only £17.88 for all the parts. I ordered these from DeRoure and it took less than 2 weeks to get to me. They show up unpainted, I just sprayed them in black to match the rest of the trim.

The stock mirrors are attached to the door panel with three allen head screws. All three holes are covered with a black circular sticker, keep in mind you will need to roll down the window to access the lower screw. Be careful to not drop the screws into the door panel during this step, I did it on both sides...

Once the screws are out the mirror should pop right off. Now behind another sticker on the stock plinth is a single T20 screw. Remove this to free the mirror from the plinth.

Attach the new (and much lighter) plinth to your mirror assembly. The standard plinth only used one screw, but the new one allows for two. I highly suggest finding another screw and using both holes.

Attach the new mirror and plinth assembly to the door, just the same way you removed it. The three holes line up perfectly, once you have it bolted up tight you can attach the covers. Here is a shot showing the difference between the old and new mirrors:

Overall, it's a fairly simple and inexpensive modification. Again thanks to DeRoure for getting me the parts and member LotusCC for confirming fitment. I still have yet to drive with these installed but I don't expect any issues, it may even help my visibility!

See less See more
#99 ·
I prefer the black contrast, no body color pics.

#107 ·
So I was feeling exceptionally OCD, and decided to see how much weight I can take out of a set of V6 mirror mounts to compensate for the added weight of CF + resin that I'll have my friend cover them later.

Picture 1: Stock Picture 2: Removal of internal cast spruces Picture 3: Colin Chapman weight diet

Attachments

#108 ·
Read through the whole thread..and need to ask if there is a step by step pictoral demonstration to removing the factory mirrors? I removed the 3 stickers, i see some of the screws, but im afraid they wont come out from the tiny holes. Is there a better method? And if the screws do fall in, how do you get them out? Not understanding the magnet thing either

#112 ·
Did the design change recently? DeRoure is showing new PN's for the Exige V6 mirror parts:

A138U4013F: LH Plinth Assembly
A138U4014F: RH Plinth Assembly

There are no caps and the mirror housing is a different part number as well.

#113 ·
Yes, Lotus made a change to both the mirror body and the "stalk". You can still order the older v6 style that mates up to the even older mirror body. One of the internal stems on my drivers side mirror body broke. I have been going back and forth on just replacing the body or upgrading. Haven't decided yet.

#116 ·
I think you can re-use the existing mirror housings. I went ahead and ordered the new style Exige V6 stalks.

I pulled one of my existing mirror housings apart. The outer painted portion of the housing (the main piece) looks identical to what is in the parts diagram. The adjustment portion between the housing and the stalk appears to be built into the new V6 stalk. I will update this thread when I receive the new stalks.

Besides being heavy, the Elise stalks do not provide a robust mount to support the mirrors. Only one of the two plastic pins on the mirror have a screw securing it where both pins are secured in the OEM mirror application. I also notices the OEM mirror application has much longer plastic pins, and they are cut shorter when installed in the Elige applications.

#117 ·
Can someone put together a DIY step by step instructions with pics on removal and install of side view mirrors? Cant find the pdf to the old sector111 instructions as the link no longer works, and all these explanations using magnets is not making sense to me lol. Thanks i advance?

#118 ·
Confirmed, the existing mirror housings can be reused. Here is the new V6 Exige mirror plinth. It comes from Lotus with both halves bonded together and with the ajustement and bellows attached.

Part numbers are A138U4013F for the left side and A138U4014F for the right side. Total, including shipping from Deroure was about £75.

Separating the mirror from the housing was a bit of a pain. It took a lot of patience, but I was able to get them apart without scratching the paint.

I included a picture of the existing mirror housing after disassembly. Once the push on star washer is pried off, the whole adjustment assembly comes apart.

The outer mirror housing is held onto the new plinth with the spring. Once I determine paint/coating on the plinth, they will just slide together and be held in place with the spring.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.