The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my quest to save up my part time pennies for my buddy's supercharger setup by the Fall (and other usual college kid expenses)...driving ecnomically is a good way for me to save some money. Based off of this guy's tips, I'm able to still get 29 mpg out of my 2zz WHILE still driving semi-aggresively. For the few members here who say they drive their Lotus daily, check out his MPG stats and tips!

2way, oh gas milage expert... - NewCelica.org Forum

Here ya go, Bro.:

GT-S 6spd:

*upshift @ or below 3.3K RPM... early & often... I upshift as low as 2-2.5K RPM quite frequently. There are two RPM sweetspots for mpg 2.3K & 3.15K. It doesn't really lug till ya get down close to 1-1.2K RPM. Downshift late, 1.5k is about my usual limit at a steady speed (upshifting is different). 6th gear is the most efficient (slight overdrive)

*clean the Throttle Body/Intake manifold & IACV (your method of choice.. I just use carb cleaner)... every 15K. Seafoam will help higher mileage or city driven cars with cleaning tops of pistons.

*Air filter cleaned every 15K (replaced every 15K, if stock)

*MAF cleaned every 15K. CRC's MAF Sensor Cleaner preferred. If you have a SRI or CAI, verify your MAF reading @ idle to ensure that you don't need to BBmod your intake.

*oil/filter change every 2.5K miles (oil analysis wear #'s are very low & they predict a 200K+ engine life, I'm aiming for 300K)

*use an API Energy Conserving 5W30 Oil (unless you are in a higher or lower than normal climate)... a synthetic, if you can afford it. If not, consider a less expensive synthetic Blend. Try to stay w/one brand... while oil is oil... the additives & their quantities vary by manufacturer. My oil of choice is Castrol Syntec. It has done an excellent job @ keeping my engine clean & preventing wear.

*18" rims will hurt your economy... I'm using the standard +1 16" OEMS. Might use low rolling coefficient tires. Bigger rims are often heavier and that rotational mass will have an impact on your mpg.

*add fuel injector cleaner every 2.5K miles

*Redline MT90 tranny oil change (I had been doing every 15K.. but, I've lengthened to a more common 30K.)

*Mobil1 Synthetic transmission fluid in Power Steering. I drain & fill the reservoir @ ea. oil change. Not that it should impact mpg... I do use a Gatorback drive belt which has helped steering lag from belt slippage considerably.

*Use the undercarriage plastics or get a shield to reduce drag, improve engine cooling, and keep engine bay cleaner.

*Check tire inflation @ correct pressure (min. once a month) I go 2-3psi over for highway driving.

*Proper wheel alignment done at least annually

*Rotate tires on a regular basis (I do every 5K)

*Use cruise control (it is usually better @ managing throttle than a human & a steady speed is more economical)

*The lower in the fuel tank you go, the better. When the bars go totally away... there is usually somewhere around 0.5-0.75gals fuel left, plenty for you to find a station. If you are currently refueling @ 2 bars.. go to refueling @ 1 bar (wait for the fuel light), unless you know you will need more fuel for your next trip. A fully loaded fuel tank adds almost 90lbs or so. If you aren't tracking MPG, aren't travelling a long distance,... or have limited funds...you can probably benefit by only filling to 1/2 tank.

*No junk in the trunk... the lighter, the better. I can see differences in MPG just carrying an extra 50lbs.

*a clean car doesn't hurt... waxed... even better (slight drag reduction)

*minimize fan & electrical usage. In the winter... try turning up the heat higher & turning off the fan (unless you are sitting still). This acomplishes a couple of things... the radiator fan will not run as often and you aren't using the heater fan.

*on the highway.. A/C is probably more efficient than an open window (increases wind drag). Set A/C all the way cold & only use as much fan as needed. On moderate days, leave windows closed & use fan on 1st or 2nd setting vs. an open window. If you must open a window (for smokers)cracking the sun/moonroof seems to work better/less drag than cracking a side window. NOTE: Thus far, my ScanGauge MPG readings don't support the A/C being more efficient theory. However, sometimes driver comfort is important;)

*Avoid putting the HVAC in either of the two Defrost modes. The AC compressor runs in those modes.

*I use the stock OEM long life platinum Iridium plugs... replaced every 60K (I may try the IK's next time... to see if they help MPG @ all). Check gap (carefully). DENSO has come out w/a new Long Life Performance Plug the VK (Iridium Tough). I haven't tried it... but, it looks promising. I haven't tried the IKs.. but, they may provide a minimal mpg improvement.

*Use a top tier fuel (I use Shell 93 V-Power) Shell has long been known for better fuel economy. Chevron may provide better performance w/less economy... I'm not sure. A GT may see better MPGs w/89 Octane. Even if your using 87, I recommend a top tier fuel for a GT.

*I have used TX-7.. actual mpg gain, if any, is uncertain. However, it does appear that my mpg improved by 2-3%. How much can be attributed to accelerated maintenance & how much to TX-7..... anyone's guess. I am no longer adding TX-7. Castrol Syntec (what I use) uses a moly additive which performs very similarly to TX-7's TFE.

*Reduce idling (if you're @ a long light & back in the pack.... shut off your engine.

*Avoid jackrabbit starts & screeching stops.

* Avoid short trips. Plan your trips, go to the furthest destination first and then make the rest of the stops on the return. This will insure a warmed up engine and better economy.

*Coast whenever possible.... down hills... come out of gear. Come off the accelerator when a light changes to yellow (no sense hurrying to a redlight... & it may change by the time you get there - reducing idling). Take advantage of DFCO (Decel Fuel Cut Off = 0 fuel use, the tranny pushes the engine) by coming off the gas & stay in highest gear to slow down for off ramps & traffic lights. It cuts fuel use and saves on brakes (Not to be confused with downshifting for engine braking). You have to balance the use of DFCO vs. the distance you need to cover. A combination of DFCO to slow and coasting to reach the end of a segment is what I use on offramps. Stoplights are often DFCO only, depending on the visible distance to see a red light or a "stale" green. Try to gauge your coasting to minimize idling at the light. Often, the light will turn green before I reach it.

*keep your speed in check.

*use a light right foot... preferably under 1/4 throttle.... to as little as 5-10% throttle... I know it seems slow... but, if you upshift etc. you'd be surprised @ how easily you keep up with traffic ahead of you & how soon you make it into 6th gear.

*Optimum superhighway speed for a GT-S appears to be around 3120-3150 RPM/68 MPH. I seem to get better mpg @ 68MPH than I do @ 65MPH. From my testing, anything over 70MPH is going to reduce your mpg. There is another RPM sweetspot at around 2.3K. If you are below highway speeds, this is a good RPM to run in any gear. These sweetspots coincide w/torque dips on most GT-S dynos. Torque dips on a GT appear to occur around 3K and 3.8K-4K. I don't know where these fall for a GT stick or whether they are MPG sweetspots.

Advanced techniques include Pulse & Glide, Driving w/Buffers, Driving w/o Brakes, Driving w/Load, drafting, engine off coasting, and more.

Driving style & proper maintenance are the biggest factors.

^My latest revision.

This is a pretty good article: washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines that helps explain some of the mental changes you need to make.

Keep in mind that, while I qualify as a "hypermiler" simply by beating the EPA estimates, I am by no means as extreme as some.

p.s. You can probably ditch the "Gas Saver" and "Octane Booster" in every tank. The "Octane Booster" is likely to hurt mpg more than improve it. Just use a "top tier" fuel. Stick w/the injector cleaner every oil change (it will also reduce mpg during that tank).
I still use STP Gas Saver and STP Octane Boosted when I fill up, and I always notice the improved MPG difference though :shrug: . I hope this helps!

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way he treats his engine also affects engine longevity you know...his oil analysis stating his motor should be good for 200,000 miles says it all.

Gee...I wonder if that's good for a sports car when it's not being pushed at the track...you know...the place where it's legal to push your engine and car to it's limits outside the street...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Some of us have other cars for better mpg :D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I get 29-33 hauling ass (and also dropping to 3rd to blow up every tunnel I can find). I've got the higher 6th gear transmission, though.

If someone were to put low RR tires and drive like a sissy, they could easily get 40 in the Elise, especially if they aren't heavy.

With that said, low RR tires would kill the fun of the car.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
BTW, if you use the advice in the banner ad down below ("Double any vehicle's MPG!"), you could get 60mph on regular pump gas mixed with unicorn farts.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
What if you brought the Celica lower the to the ground, and put a full aluminum frame under it, with a completely composite body for weight reduction, removed the support behind the functioning "bumpers", as well as the power steering, etc.

Then getting 33MPG while still often topping 100 MPH on a road trip would be no problem at all.

Or you could just buy a Lotus Elise.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Im glad im not the only one who feels this way...
:wallbang:

on a side note..I am willing to PAY the new owners of this forum to BAN the stupid idiot from this site...seriously...if anyone from the new ownership is reading this, PM me...I hate to use ignore because you see everything when people quote anyway...

·
Registered
222 Posts
on a side note..I am willing to PAY the new owners of this forum to BAN the stupid idiot from this site...seriously...if anyone from the new ownership is reading this, PM me...I hate to use ignore because you see everything when people quote anyway...
I didn't think it was that bad of a post.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I didn't think it was that bad of a post.
every post this dumb ass makes is trying to compare the celica to the Lotus, trying to use cheap ass parts for a celica on a Lotus (that he doesnt even know if they fit or not), or trying to talk about what his friends car has done to it.

go back and see how many links he posts to the celica site...its nothing he knows first hand about, its all work that other people are doing that he reads about...

I know they have the same engine, but come on now...thats about it...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
every post this dumb ass makes is trying to compare the celica to the Lotus, trying to use cheap ass parts for a celica on a Lotus (that he doesnt even know if they fit or not), or trying to talk about what his friends car has done to it.

go back and see how many links he posts to the celica site...its nothing he knows first hand about, its all work that other people are doing that he reads about...

I know they have the same engine, but come on now...thats about it...
+1, saving gas is great but most Lotus owners aren't poor college kids. We don't really care if we get 5 less mpg. I drive my Elise how it was designed to be driven and that's not upshifting at 2,500 rpms and downshifting at 1,500. Even with gas at $5.00 a gallon it still costs less than $50 to fill it up so it's no big deal.

Besides, if you needed a post like this to tell you how to get better MPG you need to go back to school and take remedial common sense class. Good gas mileage=drive easy+keep your car in good running shape with regular maintenance, duh. Plus it's more than stupid to put your car in neutral while rolling at any time, you never know when some idiot in a Celica GTS is going to swerve at you while trying to take a picture with his camera phone and you'll need acceleration to get yourself out of a sticky situation.

Sometimes I wish they would have just put the POS Rover engine in this car so the Celica kids would go away.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Er...a little harsh, doncha think? I've even agreed with GTSrasta a few times...

·
Registered
182 Posts
The driver is a big part of gas economy. I tend to drive with enthusiasm and my rare Elise is much more economical at an average 28 MPG than the many Escalades and Excursions a worried driver must dodge. I will agree that more restrained driving techniques would improve my gas mileage. When I drive my Toyota Yaris with aplomb, I average 38 MPG.

·
Registered
139 Posts
32 MPG at 75 mph; ~40 MPG at 55-60 mph

Taken several long trips with lots of Interstate miles, averaging about 75-80 mph for long stretches, and got 32 mpg. Tire pressures at 30 psi.

Also took a shorter and slower trip on a 4-lane, non-interstate hwy, averaging about 60 mph (nightime+55 speed limit+police), got 39.5 MPG, with tire pressures at 26-28 psi.

No question fuel mileage would improve by pumping tires up to 35-40 psi, but ride quality and traction would be compromised dramatically.

The Lotus is far from the ideal hypermiling vehicle, but impressive w/fuel consumption considering its performance capabilities.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.