The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured i'd post this in the high-traffic forum, then it could get moved to the Powertrain forum or something...

Here's a tip on a great way to buy Mobil 1 oil from Pep boys at $2.12 a bottle.

Right now Pep boys is selling a calendar in conjunction with MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) for $1. The proceeds from the calendar go to MADD. Inside of that calendar is a coupon to buy 3 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and recieve 3 quarts for free. The calendars are usually on sale through Feb. and are then disgarded but the coupons are good until Dec. 2005, so buy as many calendars as you can.

0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30, 15W-30

:)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
A word to the wise................... DON'T USE MOBIL OIL IN THE ELISE! It's not that I think that there is anything wrong with it. But Lotus is very specific about the weight of the oil allowed for use in the Elise and it is not available from Mobil. If it was, I'd buy it. But it isn't. And don't get any ideas about "oh it's the same as a Toyota Celica". The Engine is tuned differently and requires the oil that is stated in the manual (5W-50?). Frankly it doesn't matter what any of us think, it matters what LCU thinks and they will not honor a warrenty claim on an engine that didn't use the correct oil.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Robert, Lotus approves the use of Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic motor oil for "track use". For the street as you say, do what they suggest unless you know better. I'm using M1 0W40 since the weather turned cold, but that is my decision.

(BTW I never got back to you about that protective coating for underhood stuff....it's called S100 Engine Brightener and is available at Harley dealers....while you're there consider picking up the excellent s100 wax which is identical to the award winning best-carnauba P21S for ~1/2 price: same product and container, different label and price...Marketing wise, motorcycle folks just won't pay high prices for glop compared to car nuts)

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's good news for those of us that have a Viper. 11 quarts per change.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
i dont know what kind of miles u folks have on your cars, but i wouldnt use synthetic untill after the engine is fully broken in...
i know some companies put synthetic oil from the factory, im not sure thats the best way to do it....
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Lotus uses a 50/50 mix during the "break-in period. after that it goes synthetic. Lotus has a heck of a lot more engineering experience than me. I'll let them call the shots on my oil.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Robert-what is the recommended oil weight? I'm due to change mine, and if you know it off the top of your head, great. thanks

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Surferjer said:
Robert-what is the recommended oil weight? I'm due to change mine, and if you know it off the top of your head, great. thanks
5W40. The only manufacturer of that weight that is readily available in this country, so I've been told, is Valvoline. I have 2 quarts in my trunk (old Lotus Owner habit).

·
Registered
262 Posts
ACE...

Thank you for the tip...I'll try to take advantage of it for my Corvette...which uses synthetic from the factory...and is due an oil change.

DM

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
wallabyguy said:
5W40. The only manufacturer of that weight that is readily available in this country, so I've been told, is Valvoline. I have 2 quarts in my trunk (old Lotus Owner habit).
5W40 dino oil seems like it would require a LOT of additives to stretch across that much of a viscosity change. I have been under the understanding that the additives that increase viscosity in mineral oil are bad - the more additives, the more difficult is is to produce a good quality oil with low ash & deposits.

Of course, that point is null and void when you start talking about synthetic oil.

Does Lotus say to use 5W40 synthetic or mineral?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
We provided our own oil for both our first services. Im running AMSOIL and yes it comes in Lotus's recommended weight.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bill B said:
Because we all know that a lot of us have Vipers :clap:

The first time I needed synthetic oil I was back in the hills where they only have Chevys and Fords. You bet I'll be carrying a couple of quarts around even if I'm not changing my own oil!:D

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Something of note.

Our first car had its first service done at MAG. They used FOUR quarts of oil.

Our second car's first service was done at LOA, they used FIVE quarts.

:confused:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Robert, I believe the book said every 7500 miles, or more if you are running it track a lot. This of course is after the 1000 mile checkup.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Bill B said:
The old V-12 Jags used 12 Qts. per change...-eek-

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Surferjer said:
Robert, I believe the book said every 7500 miles, or more if you are running it track a lot. This of course is after the 1000 mile checkup.
don't you mean less if you're running on the track alot?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts