The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It turns out one of my co-workers has an MGF stuck in customs in NJ. He is a foreign national but is not planning on leaving or exporting the car within a year to bring it in under that exemption.

Anyone have any ideas on how this car may be brought into the country. I know there are limited options for this type of car.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It can not...end of story.

The MGF uses the same Rover engine that the 111s uses.

Send it back to the UK:(

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'll agree that it won't be allowed (permanently) and add this:

No crash test data means that the car would have to be crash tested.

No EPA data means the engine would have to be certified.

The fact that it's already in port eliminates the possibility of sending it over in parts as a kit car.

The NHTSA will likely not allow race status of this car without being able to produce a list of racing features and a list of features that have been removed from the street version.

That particular vehicle is not eligible for show/display status.

in other words, sounds like he's SOL.

Take a look here for more info: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
A foreign national is allowed to bring a non federal car to the US for a period not to exceed 1 year (most likely 364 days). At the end of that time, the car must be exported from the US or destroyed. It cannot be sold while in the US. That is pretty much the only exemption that allows someone to import a non-US spec car and legally drive it on the streets...

You co-worker can decide to ship the car back after a year, but that's about the only legal way.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the....um.....help.

You have confirmed what I already knew. Was just fishing for a creative idea. Bummer, but he definitley did not know much about US rules before shipping the car here. The car came from Asia, I am not sure if it is RHD or LHD, but he should probably re-export it. Sound like eBay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts