The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I read a post saying the stock fuel tank capacity can be done by doing/removing something. It was something like an extra gallon of fuel capacity? I can't find that same post, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

I will be setting the car up to run on e85. Since e85 requires about 30% more fuel, I would like the extra capacity so I don't run out of fuel as quickly on track days.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a bigger fuel tank from eliseparts, UK.
I do realize this is probably the best route. However, I cannot justify the price for an extra two gallons of capacity, especially if I can increase the stock tank capacity by a gallon or so. Plus, I already have a surge tank, so that eliminates the baffled advantage of the eliseparts fuel tank.

I do appreciate you sharing your advice, though.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Actually

You would go from 40 l to 54 l, and is by far better quality than Oem tank, and an added advantage the fuel pump hole is 2mm bigger so removing the fuel pump is a breeze!
Well worth the $$$, IMHO!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would go from 40 l to 54 l, and is by far better quality than Oem tank, and an added advantage the fuel pump hole is 2mm bigger so removing the fuel pump is a breeze!
Well worth the $$$, IMHO!
You make very good and valid points. If i had unlimited funds, it would definitely be worth it. In my current situation, however, it does not justify the price.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If you filled up where the fuel is 1.90/liter , you would not need, or want, any more capacity, unless you wallet's capacity is large.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
No OEM fuel tank fills up 100%, since an air space is necessary for good evaporation emissions. With the Lotus tank there is a float valve which blocks off the filler breather at about 10.5 gallons. If you modify the float valve you can fit about 1.5 gallons more fuel in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No OEM fuel tank fills up 100%, since an air space is necessary for good evaporation emissions. With the Lotus tank there is a float valve which blocks off the filler breather at about 10.5 gallons. If you modify the float valve you can fit about 1.5 gallons more fuel in.
Thank you very much for this reply. This is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How to modify the float valve? Anyone has a DIY thread on that? thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will be pulling the fuel tank today to see what can be done. I will report back and post my findings.
Thanks, looking forward for your posts :)

I've problem with the fuel capacity, ran until totally dry in a 3 hours trackday. When go to pump after the trackday, managed to pump in 41 litres -eek-

But never experience any fuel surge until my last lap. Hope to increase my fuel tank by a bit so i can finish 1 trackday with 1 tank without risking my engine :)

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Thanks, looking forward for your posts :)

I've problem with the fuel capacity, ran until totally dry in a 3 hours trackday. When go to pump after the trackday, managed to pump in 41 litres -eek-

But never experience any fuel surge until my last lap. Hope to increase my fuel tank by a bit so i can finish 1 trackday with 1 tank without risking my engine :)
I guess it depends on how close the track is to a gas station.
During my last track day I went from a full tank down to one bar within a one hour session.
Four sessions a day equalled 3 trips to the gas station. And that really sucks when the closest gas station is about 10 miles from the track.
But one or two more gallons of capacity wouldn't have changed that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope the pictures work. I have dropped the fuel tank and believe I have found a solution to increase the fuel capacity. I'm still deciphering which route to take. 1) Cut the float valve at the red line to increase the capacity, or 2) remove the float valve altogether and reroute the vent/breather line to the filler tube.

Any input from anyone on rerouting the vent/breather line to the filler tube? Anything to look out for or blatantly wrong with this idea?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts