The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks

Appreciate the well documented mod, and the notion of driving topless without worries of who might 'drop in' for a visit ...O wait...I meant to save that last part for my wife

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, Pilot. I used your instructions and have been very pleased with the results. I used a two-part epoxy instead of hot glue, but other than that, did it exactly as you describe.
Living in Seattle, where rain abounds, this is a very useful mod.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Any interference with re-installing the hardtop, now that those 2 little 'grommets' are there? Nice writeup. I woulda gone Tecate though...
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
sintheric said:
Thanks, Pilot. I used your instructions and have been very pleased with the results. I used a two-part epoxy instead of hot glue, but other than that, did it exactly as you describe.
Living in Seattle, where rain abounds, this is a very useful mod.
thank you

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
skottoman said:
Any interference with re-installing the hardtop, now that those 2 little 'grommets' are there? Nice writeup. I woulda gone Tecate though...
Cheers,
Skottoman
Absolutely not. You can clearly see them from inside. No issues whatsoever. Except one: I forgot to bring the dang softtop to Vegas:mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Topless

After driving this past weekend roofless....there's no question the top must be off!!!

So after sourcing a soft top, having the little black gromets on order I'll have this done shortly!

Hard top will only be on for track days. Thanks for doing such a great write up!

·
Registered
92 Posts
dma550 said:
ROFL, you just negated the one reason I bought the Elise over the Exige!!!
I agree! Can this be done with the Exige S, or does it scew up the airflow for the intercooler when the top is off?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
LW Elise said:
I agree! Can this be done with the Exige S, or does it scew up the airflow for the intercooler when the top is off?
I'm no physics expert, but it seems that the IC will suck in just fine through the scoop behind the top.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
wow, nice work! how many other cars are out there that you could do this type of work on? awesome.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
[SOLD] I have a touring soft top in excellent condition for sale. If any of you are thinking of doing this mod and are in need of a top, shoot me a pm. :) [SOLD]

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A soft top sure makes those nice days and cool nights so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I ordered a soft top for my car also. The small black seal looks like something that is best mounted to the top and not the roll bar cover.

Car looks great without the top!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well after not ever posting any pics of my Exige, I am finally going to. Finally got the rear brace inserts for the soft top and installed today. Overall installation was not hard just the swallow before drilling the first hole. Followed the installation posted here and had no issues. Personally, I think it is a great alternative and adds some good weather options. Added to that, I am 6'2" and can not fit (with the current seat mount position) head clearence while wearing a helmet for AutoX and other events. Now I will feel better and not have to remove the hard top and leave it on the ground for the "Ooops, I did not see it so let me back my car off of it".

21 - 40 of 158 Posts