The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think that's a type-o. There is no factory option for a soft top on an Exige S. Many dealers will not even perform the soft top conversion. I asked the parts guy at the Lotus dealer in San Francisco for the parts to do the conversion myself and he was confused as to why I wanted them. I told him that they were for my Exige S and he said "you mean the Elise?" I told him about this thread and how many Exige S owners have performed this conversion and he still looked at me like I was high. However, from what I've seen you can negotiate the conversion as part of your new car purchase with some dealers.

Hi,

I am considering buying my first Lotus Exige S soon. I remain confused about the availability of a soft top / no top.

http://www.lotuscars.com/ExigeS.aspx states that the touring pack includes an "Insulated Soft Top". I would assume that it includes the proper installation for it as well. Is this not accurate?

Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Why bother with cutting holes for the grommets? Why not just modify the rails to use suction cups for rear mounting??

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
how accurate does the grommet location have to be? I just got a used one on the way in the mail, and I'll do this mod. Am I correct to assume its just to add tension to the roof, and as long as the rods can be inserted securely you're fine? It looks like you can be about 1/8" off vertically and 1/4" in off side to side and still have no problems?

·
Registered
525 Posts
how accurate does the grommet location have to be? I just got a used one on the way in the mail, and I'll do this mod. Am I correct to assume its just to add tension to the roof, and as long as the rods can be inserted securely you're fine? It looks like you can be about 1/8" off vertically and 1/4" in off side to side and still have no problems?
I used the measurements in the beginning of this thread and had no problems. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36772
I would not stress over it as I am sure the grommets do not have to be exact. Good luck… the car is great with the roof off!

·
Registered
66 Posts
you'd think a mod like this would be an option from the factory. Its on the elise... why not the exige?
Thats right, Lotus want to define their line up as the Elise as their roadster, and the Exige as there coupe.

This is why dealers often greet enquiries about the soft top conversion negatively. Its more of a marketing issue than a practical one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just installed mine using the measurements in the original thread and it worked great! Bring on the random afternoon thunderstorm.... :nanner:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Hi all,

could someone please tell me where they ordered their extra gromet's from (i.e online store I can order from Aus) or did everyone just get them from their local dealership.

Thanks,
Damian

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just started to look for an exige and wondered why there was no soft top available. I am glad I found this site as now I can add my own soft top.

can't wait to get my exige :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi all,

could someone please tell me where they ordered their extra gromet's from (i.e online store I can order from Aus) or did everyone just get them from their local dealership.

Thanks,
Damian
I got mine from the dealer:

gommets

spacers (go under grommets)

top either lined or unlined, will come with the support rods

The unlined top is likely what your after, no insulation and it rolls up in a smaller space

·
Registered
20 Posts
What actually do the spacers do?

I installed mine without - didn't want the extra "complexity" and wanted it more flush with the clam.

Just wondering - I hope I don't need to change!

SM.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Got the top, got the gromets and away we go...wish me luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great thread guys.
Do anyone know if the VX220 is the same softtop as the Elise S2? Are they interchangeable with each other? Than I can find a used VX220 and double my my chances of finding a used one :) Looking forward for the mod and bringing the soft top along on road trips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand that a VX220 one is exactly the same. I hope that is correct as I have just bought a used one of eBay -eek-.

It is the non-insulated one and I am wondering how the AC will cope with the roof in place. I am driving to France next month and last year in the S1 the direct heat was too much with out the roof in place.

·
Registered
86 Posts
CF scoop for topless Exige?

Would any of you carbon fiber fabricators consider making a carbon fiber scoop for the topless Exige?

I think there might be a market for it here; if the scoop can be designed with the soft top in place, or even as a T-top type design with removable panels.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was at a driving academy/ factory tour at Lotus yesterday and talked to a guy working on the asembly. He said the warranty was voided if the roof was taken off the Exige s. I'm taking that as Lotus not really wanting you to do it.

When it came down to whether it's a realy problem or not, he was a bit more unclear. Something about there not being a "grill" in front of the opening when running without the roof. However in my 2007 modell there is no grill anyways.

I think I will perfectly happy continue to run with the roof off, but try to put it on before any track days.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Was at a driving academy/ factory tour at Lotus yesterday and talked to a guy working on the asembly. He said the warranty was voided if the roof was taken off the Exige s. I'm taking that as Lotus not really wanting you to do it..
Yes, you right, they have a counter fix in the roof, so they will know you have took it off or not and it is specially for saving the warranty cost. :D Sorry ALFHEIM, just kidding.

I did talked to those guys in trainning, they simply don't care and told me to to buy the 2 plastic pieces for the soft roof.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts