141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
1 - yes, use existing slots

2 - yes

3 - my Exige w/soft top conversion is for sale

A couple of questions:

1) all the pictures show the back part of the roll cage installation. Is it the same for the front or are you using existing slots?

2) Does the softtop roll up and fit in the trunk?

BTW, I think this is my first post here. I'm a long time Corvette convertible owner. I grew up with Lotus's and think its time to return. I'm a few months out from buying but, knowing I could turn the Exige into a near convertible makes this a possibility. For some reason, the Elise just doesn't seem to cut it for me. As I get closer, I'll have lots more questions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Need: Thanks for the quick answer. Exactly what I wanted to hear. And your car is absolutely perfect and what I want just maybe more than I can swing. Plus I'd (almost) feel guilty using that one as a daily driver. Yes, I'm going to commute to work in the Lotus. I'm probably nuts... My car lease comes up in late September. I'm probably going to run out the lease instead of paying to just get rid of it. When the time gets nearer, I'll check back with you. I need to see that red. It sounds awesome. You haven't installed a back up camera, have you?

Scott

·
Registered
352 Posts
where do i get those plastic inserts (that go in to the "custom" holes) that the rails stick in to?

·
Registered
299 Posts
lotusgarage.com.............from Robert aka wallabyguy

·
Registered
352 Posts
would you know if those are pieces are available in their U.S. warehouse location (shorter shipping time)? also, i see you've done the conversion.... are there any other pieces that you would recommend me buy now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks....I followed your instructions. Very helpful. No problems at all. Easily installed a soft top on my new 2010 s260 sport (cup). I used a dremmel for all the cuts and everything went very smoothly. Thanks for the pictures and instructions. Although the hard top looks better, I'm not sure it will be getting much use anymore. Really appreciate the time and knowledge you shared. Nigel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ok - super old post, I know. I ordered the parts to do this and they are on their way. I read through all 8 pages of the post and only found once reference to this...when you guys put your hard top back on, are the grommets and spacers interfering at all with the hard top? Are they cutting into the rubber weather seal? Can someone take a picture from the inside of their car with the hard top on and the spacers in place?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
ok - super old post, I know. I ordered the parts to do this and they are on their way. I read through all 8 pages of the post and only found once reference to this...when you guys put your hard top back on, are the grommets and spacers interfering at all with the hard top? Are they cutting into the rubber weather seal? Can someone take a picture from the inside of their car with the hard top on and the spacers in place?

Thanks
It will be fine and they will not interfere. The only difference between the Exige and Elise roof is the air intake Mohawk.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
thanks for the pics - I appreciate the quick response. I will be doing this next weekend probably. In Tampa - top off driving is the next 5 months!!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Thanks, again, for the pics and guide.

Not sure if anyone who fitted a soft-top is still subscribed to this thread , But if they are, could someone help with one measurement: the vertical distance from the top edge down to the actual holes drilled for the holes for the struts.

The picture that shows the horizontal distances and the stencils, does not show the vertical distances. Unfortunately, the picture that does show the vertical distances, already has the spacers and grommets fitted.

My soft-top is due to arrive in the next few days so i am getting things ready. It maybe that I can fit the spacer and grommet together and then use this assembly to measure the vertical distance as per the photo.

But if anyone can advise what the vertical distance should be before drilling - as per the stencil photo - could they report it here?

PS - the last pic that shows the completed installation appears to show that the two struts are equally spaced and parallel. Is that the case? If so, I can use the front two holes as a further guide?

Many thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Question:

I measured, marked up, added some notes, and then mocked the lines for the bows with strings, and something seemed... off.

then I measured on the car, and then on the top... Is the roof scoop not quite centered? Could someone measure from their bows to the roof scoop edges?

·
Registered
234 Posts
After further investigation, it's the soft top mounts that seem to be not centered. Using a plumb bob, it seems that they're not matched to the centerline of the car.

I put the soft top on with out the bows, and it seems to fit correctly, as does the hard top. So, I'm at a loss. Are these not-quite-symmetric from the factory? Is it a case of "close enough for British automotive work"?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Pilot - thanks for the guide.

Finally got round to fitting mine and it went smoothly. I have no doubt that the hard top looks classier and more... well ... "just right".

However, I live in Spain where it is 35 degrees plus from end of May to middle of October - with not a drop of rain of course. So an open roof with soft top option is more practical for me. Luckily mine is black and I think goes well with the yellow and black Exige. Here are a couple of pics - before and after.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Nice work!
Thanks for the thumbs up :smile2:

By the way - for anyone else interested in fitting a soft top, I offer this bit of info.

I had only used mine a couple of times when one of the support struts snapped near the end where it is inserted in the grommet. I had no trouble getting a free replacement but I decided i did not want to be a long way from home when the same thing might happen again.

So I had a chat with a local fabrication shop and had two made up in stainless steel. Dimensions were 30mm x 3mm. This is actually wider than you really need but it was the only suitable stock piece they had. Cost £50 for the pair which was not too bad - bending and grinding the ends took a while and the material is polished stainless steel and looks quite cool. They spring nicely and support the soft top very well.

Don't do it if you are paranoid about the extra weight but it isn't going to bother me. Weight of one piece:

Original: 160 gm or around 6 oz
Steel: 470 gm or about 1lb (i.e. about three times - obviously would be much less if you used 20 mm steel, and cheaper too)

Here are the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
About to start cutting my Exige for a soft top conversion and noticed some discrepancies in instructions online.

In this thread, the distance from the bottom edge of the rubber trim around the roll hoop is supposed to be ~1.2cm.

From instructions at SELOC, the distance is given as 6mm.

Assuming most people here did 1.2cm rather than 6mm. Is there another reference I can use when doing my measurements (ie should the two plastic stays line up with the roll hoop or something?) Jus want to make sure before I start hacking into my Lotus (super nervous). I imagine it's not a huuuuge deal either way as the important bit is in the middle to prevent the top from sagging but I'd like to get it right. What's the grommet location on an Elise?

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
105 Posts
About to start cutting my Exige for a soft top conversion and noticed some discrepancies in instructions online.

In this thread, the distance from the bottom edge of the rubber trim around the roll hoop is supposed to be ~1.2cm. View attachment 1271072

From instructions at SELOC, the distance is given as 6mm.

View attachment 1271073

Assuming most people here did 1.2cm rather than 6mm. Is there another reference I can use when doing my measurements (ie should the two plastic stays line up with the roll hoop or something?) Jus want to make sure before I start hacking into my Lotus (super nervous). I imagine it's not a huuuuge deal either way as the important bit is in the middle to prevent the top from sagging but I'd like to get it right. What's the grommet location on an Elise?
Please let us know what you find out regarding the measurements. I'd like to get this done but the differing measurements make me pause.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts