The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great DIY and write up. I suspect there will be quite a few that give this a try.

For those that want LEDs, don't want to DIY, and don't want to pay the price for 2006+ lights, I noticed that Elise Parts will be selling replacement LED units for our federal S2 cars for about $500, plus shipping.

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/53/1193/led-rear-lamps-s2/
Thank you! I actually considered those, but I thought they looked a little aftermarket-ish? The 2006+ lights look like jewels, and the 2005 lights with the diffuser disk chromed out with COB rings over top doesn't look all that bad IMO with the lights off:

500 isn't a terrible price for OEM led tails, but the ones in this diy just look cooler / more modern. What to do, what to do...
Haha, thanks :)

You magnificent bastard! These look fantastic- far nicer than the new style tail lights I have. I installed these rings in my headlights. They look great there as well.

Josh
Thank you! I might do the same type of halos up front eventually, depends on how patient I am with removing the stock headlights.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
nice! I'm going to do this to my 06 and keep the led lights in a little box under my bed as a retirement fund!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looks like Greg's racing parts will be offering these for sale, so if you're lazy, not crafty, or have better things to do with your time, keep an eye out for GRP's offering as it looked almost identical on Greg's Instagram post. Nicely done Greg!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Looks like Greg's racing parts will be offering these for sale, so if you're lazy, not crafty, or have better things to do with your time, keep an eye out for GRP's offering as it looked almost identical on Greg's Instagram post. Nicely done Greg!

Transforged is also developing a set, but full replacement instead of conversion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great write up! With the diffused ring look, these look better than the expensive '06+ factory pieces imo.

I have a few questions for you.

Do you think having just 2 rings(instead of 3) with the inside ring being full bright for the brake light would be bright enough?

Could the unused center lens be used for a standard turn signal bulb instead of LED's?

I'm thinking of trying this, but using LED's just for the running lights and brake lights, while hopefully using the standard center reverse lights, and using the center turn signal bulbs as the euro cars do.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Do you think having just 2 rings(instead of 3) with the inside ring being full bright for the brake light would be bright enough?
I used different halos than hotspoons, and I got away with one halo for both brakes and running lights. I used the Diode Dynamics COB halos with built in PWM. They are wider than what was used in this DIY, each being 16mm wide. So my set up is as follows:
4x 110mm red halos; one in each light
2x 90mm amber halos; outside lights only

All 4 red halos are set to do running lights and brake lights.
The 2 amber halos are set within the outside red halos and handle turn signals. They're "amber" because the red housing changes the color significantly​. But they are more yellow than the brake lights.

I have a few pics taken right after install. I can take a video one of these nights to show how they function.

·
ak47007
52 Posts
Hey man , I'm in the process of your DIY , I'm about 80% done , stuck on some last parts. Could you Help me ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey man , I'm in the process of your DIY , I'm about 80% done , stuck on some last parts. Could you Help me ?
Ahad, sorry, just saw this, you probably saw my comment on Instagram but let me know if you figured it all out. Also, based on your blinker speed, you'll want to pick up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ79NC/

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Great write up! With the diffused ring look, these look better than the expensive '06+ factory pieces imo.

I have a few questions for you.

Could the unused center lens be used for a standard turn signal bulb instead of LED's?

I'm thinking of trying this, but using LED's just for the running lights and brake lights, while hopefully using the standard center reverse lights, and using the center turn signal bulbs as the euro cars do.
Sorry for the long lapse in response, Yahoo mail sends all notification emails from LT to my spam folder so I almost never see them.

I'd say you are probably okay with 2 rings; I did 3 because I wanted to be sure that they lit up enough to be noticed in daylight (they definitely do). And yes, you certainly could use the second set of unused centers as turn indicators, but you'd need to find the bulb sockets and wire in the pigtails.

I used different halos than hotspoons, and I got away with one halo for both brakes and running lights. I used the Diode Dynamics COB halos with built in PWM. They are wider than what was used in this DIY, each being 16mm wide. So my set up is as follows:
4x 110mm red halos; one in each light
2x 90mm amber halos; outside lights only

All 4 red halos are set to do running lights and brake lights.
The 2 amber halos are set within the outside red halos and handle turn signals. They're "amber" because the red housing changes the color significantly​. But they are more yellow than the brake lights.

I have a few pics taken right after install. I can take a video one of these nights to show how they function.
Those look awesome, nicely done!!!???

·
S1 Elise
4 Posts
Thanks to hotspoons and lobuzz311 for their very useful posts. I’ve used them as inspiration to build led rear lights for my 1997 S1 Elise in Australia. I was impressed with the Diode Dynamics delicvered for 3 rings it’s a bit too expensive if it doesn’t work out. So, I’ve ordered some eBay cob rings similar to those used by hotspoons and hope that they work!
Unlike the S2 models, the S1 was never made with led lights, so I may be doing some pioneering work!
I realise that the S1s were never officially sold in the USA so this may be of limited interest, but please let me know if you’d like me to detail what I’m doing. This post is really to thank the members on this thread for the info and inspiration.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks to hotspoons and lobuzz311 for their very useful posts. I’ve used them as inspiration to build led rear lights for my 1997 S1 Elise in Australia. I was impressed with the Diode Dynamics delicvered for 3 rings it’s a bit too expensive if it doesn’t work out. So, I’ve ordered some eBay cob rings similar to those used by hotspoons and hope that they work!
Unlike the S2 models, the S1 was never made with led lights, so I may be doing some pioneering work!
I realise that the S1s were never officially sold in the USA so this may be of limited interest, but please let me know if you’d like me to detail what I’m doing. This post is really to thank the members on this thread for the info and inspiration.
I'd recommend superbrightleds.com over eBay's. I went down this road and the ones from SBLEDs are way brighter and they warranty their stuff. Cheaper than DD but more expensive that eBay. If you want to go eBay route I have a bunch I can sell you for cheap.

·
S1 Elise
4 Posts
I'd recommend superbrightleds.com over eBay's. I went down this road and the ones from SBLEDs are way brighter and they warranty their stuff. Cheaper than DD but more expensive that eBay. If you want to go eBay route I have a bunch I can sell you for cheap.
Thanks Rizzydee. The problem is that in the past few years shipping costs from the USA have risen to ridiculous levels. To get 2 pairs of led rings worth $28 delivered to Australia in 10 days would cost over $80! This is why I have gone to eBay. Shipping on 4 rings is under A$10 (US$6). Unfortunately finding a supplier in Australia is proving very difficult.

In the future (or maybe for version 2.0) I would still consider Diode Dynamics.

·
S1 Elise
4 Posts
Only 2 posts so far, will have to post some more. Better read the forum rules ☺
I have already ordered some rings (should arrive in 3 weeks) and have fitted a new led flasher relay.

·
S1 Elise
4 Posts
I’ve just about finished my l.e.d ring upgrade on my S1 Elise.
Here’s a short video of the lights in action:

I have 4 rings for tail lights, (all red) with inner rings for stop lights and indicators.
Here are the 4 tail lights:

The l.e.d's were glued directly onto the lens:

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is a great mod! I just finished doing the driver's side, now on to the passenger side. I did a couple of things differently.

1) Instead of using the diffusers, I made some aluminum rings then painted them black.
2) For the backup and brake lights I used a 2" Trux Dual Revolution marker light that switches from red to white: https://truxaccessories.com/led-lighting/dual-revolution-leds/2-dual-revolution-leds/2-dual-revolution-stop-turn-tail-led-red-white-7-diodes
3) For the turn signals, I used another Trux light, this one amber: https://truxaccessories.com/led-lighting/dual-revolution-leds/2-dual-revolution-leds/2-round-led-clear-amber-7-diodes

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts