The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 564 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to fish out most but not all of the weight that was either taken out, or replaced with lighter parts. I didn't believe the size of the pile. This doesn't include 50 lbs of foam and rubber " sound deadening" or glass that's replaced with plexi.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,394 Posts
Decided to fish out most but not all of the weight that was either taken out, or replaced with lighter parts. I didn't believe the size of the pile. This doesn't include 50 lbs of foam and rubber " sound deadening" or glass that's replaced with plexi.
Wow, good thing you have a large driveway! :D

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, and that's just part of it! Lots of fiberglass, bumper material, and miscellaneous got cut and tossed. Looks like a whole car worth... Lol

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Indeed, that's an impressive lot of Lotus debris. Looks like ebay time for you

·
Integrator
2,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Please note, that he retained the wing!
Not likely as it looks to be an 88 Bosch injected so no wing :D also he is going to regain a lot of that weight once he starts spending again ( going to need fuel tanks, even if they aren't oem) those are some serious rear wheel spacers!

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
If it's going to be a track car, great. However won't you need headlights and gas tanks to drive the car again. Yes you lost a bunch of unsprung weight, however how enjoyable will the car be to drive once it's put back together.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,394 Posts
won't you need headlights and gas tanks to drive the car again.

Loren didn't eliminate all those parts, he replaced them with lighter components...

HeeHee, I wouldn't want to drive any car without springs... I'd go on a diet first. (BTW, that is the HARDEST way to lose weight in ANY car, LOL)

how enjoyable will the car be to drive once it's put back together.
^^ Depends on if there is a WING installed, for me! Right, Mr D? .... :panic:

But I've seen the pics of the finished product.. :up: :up: :up:

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, John, the wing stays... Lol. I think I misled the forum. That pile is well more than 600 lbs. If I still had all the fiberglass, sound deadening, bumper cut aways, there would be another similar pile like that.
The car should be done around January. Most of the work has been done and that pile has long since been replaced with new parts, although half of the pile is discarded,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For example, this system replaces the cast manifold, turbo, wastegate and exhaust. The weight of the stock equivalent is 98 lbs. This system weighs 47, that's 51lbs saved. Not only that but there is no comparison in performance

Attachments

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep what a pain, but no more. Grinding off the seat belt brackets ( went with Schroth four point) saved 4 lbs. not only that but make the tanks slide in. Also loosing the seat belt assembly saved 3.9 minus the weight of the four points. Aluminum tank hold downs weigh 2 lbs, plywood with brackets 4 ( who wants plywood in their car...lol). Makes the tanks much easier to remove and is quite a bit stronger, lighter, and won't split or rot.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Loren,

Keep the pictures coming. I love learning about this stuff. You should bring the pictures of your charge cooler set up and intake plenum over to this one too.

Are you running a larger radiator for the charge cooler

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This allowed me to open up the scoop. A little heat from a heat gun slightly softens even old fiberglass... Not to the fire point , just hot. With a small amount of persuasion, you pick up a half inch or so. Once it cools it stays. Cutting away all the remnants of the old fuel filler and cutting the outside leading edge gives you quite a hole. Also loosing a little more weight.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 564 Posts