The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching on how to make a decat pipe from the stock catalytic converter, all I found is reference to "hogging out" the pipe. :shrug:

If one was to use a stock cat, what is the process to make it into a decat pipe? Shove a screwdriver into it and bang it around or some more esoteric, professional procedure?

BTW, I have an extra cat, so that is why I'm asking. ;)

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
After searching on how to make a decat pipe from the stock catalytic converter, all I found is reference to "hogging out" the pipe. :shrug:

If one was to use a stock cat, what is the process to make it into a decat pipe? Shove a screwdriver into it and bang it around or some more esoteric, professional procedure?

BTW, I have an extra cat, so that is why I'm asking. ;)

Regards,
Wayne
A crowbar is the official tool ;) You just keep on punching the stuffing out until all that's left is the casing, which will flow almost as well as a straight pipe. Of course, this is off-road only. No way would I tell you to do something illegal.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A crowbar is the official tool ;) You just keep on punching the stuffing out until all that's left is the casing, which will flow almost as well as a straight pipe. Of course, this is off-road only. No way would I tell you to do something illegal.
Thanks for the info!

Nothing illegal here, just a "hypothetical" question about my "hypothetical" extra cat.

Now, I'm off to find a "hypothetical" crowbar...:no: :D

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
271 Posts
The real deal would be to cut the stock cat in half. Then remove all the guts. Weld in a straight pipe on the inside. Then weld back on the outside to hide the straight pipe.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed my decat, Will bring it home next week if you want it...im sure we can work something out.
Hi Cory,
Is that the decat pipe you got from Dave?

If you're not using it, bring it back. Thanks

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The real deal would be to cut the stock cat in half. Then remove all the guts. Weld in a straight pipe on the inside. Then weld back on the outside to hide the straight pipe.
that's pretty much what i did. Hacked the cat off and welded a pipe of slightly less diameter in its place. Works great:evil:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
A straight pipe will flow very slightly better than a gutted converter, but a gutted converter will act as a resonator to reduce the noise a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts