The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a Canon Vixia HF100 HD video camera delivered this week. It occurs to me that I could put it in the ELise for the 4 days I will be at HPDE events at VIR at the end of august.

Naturally I went to Sector111 looking for a mount, but their CRD mount doesn't fit the factory harness bar in my Lotus Sport Elise.

Can someone recommend a mount that I can use with this canon? if its going between or behind the seats, I'd like something that lifts the camera up so that half the view isn't filled up by the dash.

I looked at chasecam.com but I couldn't make out which mounts there would work with consumer camcorders, in this car, at the right height.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I am having a Canon Vixia HF100 HD video camera delivered this week. It occurs to me that I could put it in the ELise for the 4 days I will be at HPDE events at VIR at the end of august.

Naturally I went to Sector111 looking for a mount, but their CRD mount doesn't fit the factory harness bar in my Lotus Sport Elise.

Can someone recommend a mount that I can use with this canon? if its going between or behind the seats, I'd like something that lifts the camera up so that half the view isn't filled up by the dash.

I looked at chasecam.com but I couldn't make out which mounts there would work with consumer camcorders, in this car, at the right height.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm using one of these: Bogen/Manfrotto 635 - QUICK-ACTION SUPER CLAMP to mount a Panasonic SDR-H18 video camera to the factory harness bar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I am not sure I understand how the camera mounts to this thing?

Does it have a threaded thingie that goes into the camera's mounting hole?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks! I am not sure I understand how the camera mounts to this thing?

Does it have a threaded thingie that goes into the camera's mounting hole?
You need one of these to thread into your camera's tripod mount: CAMERA STUD, SUPERCLAMP ACCESS

The camera stud goes into the bottom of the clamp as shown in the photo... I have it turned around so the camera stud (and camera) is on top

·
Registered
787 Posts
Can you attach a remote lens to it? Check out my video from today (Carbon Fiber Turbo Elise update), I have a remote lens attached to the passenger sun visor.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is what I picked up today at OG Racing in Stirling, VA. I'll let you guys know how well (or not) it works.

Thanks all!
I have one as well and it is amazing. You'll love it!!!

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
Bumping this thread to see if there are more options being used by others out there.. I want to use with the factory harness bar that came with my S240.

Doing a lot of searching here, saw one that Robains uses that seems to be the best option so far.. Modular Camcorder Mount Kit

Or I like the idea that this can be mounted easily inside and outside the car.. I wonder how this would hold up during HPDEs? I would not be brave enough to mount our DVR camera outside, but perhaps inside, stuck to the rear window... Triple Suction Cup Mount | ChaseCam

·
Registered
59 Posts
I actually have the same camera, and have played around with all sorts of mounts... I bought the V1 mount (very well built), but the camera was too heavy (in the front) for it to be usable. I next used a monopod with side supports - it's what I've used most of the time, since you sort of wedge it into the passenger seat, just make sure to put some weight on it to hold it down:

Cullmann | Multipod | CU 3080 | B&H Photo Video

I also bought the I/O port mount, and while it's well made I didn't like how it would mount on the harness bar - too fixed for my tastes, but I do really like the spacer they used to help reduce vibration, and it comes with a OEM bogen head. I also have the Bogen superclamp:

Bogen / Manfrotto | Super Clamp with 056 3-D Junior Head | 2910

So I actually just modded a mount so I could use the polyurethane ring from the I/O with it... Much better since it doesn't leave marks and is more than likely just as strong (but more versatile) in it's mounting.

One word of caution on the HF100 (and any other CMOS camera), they pretty much all suffer from some warping of the image at certain frequencies - I've only had problems around idle, but you might run into more with what you're doing. You'll definitely see it - the image will look a bit like you were shooting through jello. Just be aware of it...

A couple other minor notes - I would get a smaller mirror - otherwise it will dominate the frame. Also, the wide angle lens is a good option, I had an HV20 so I just used it's wide angle lens with a 43mm to 37mm stepdown adapter.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts