The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason the door on the drivers side bumps into the the frontclam and the bottomplate behind the wheelarch each time i open and close the door.

is there any (easy) way to move the clam or the door a milimetre or two?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
You can probably get that fixed by adjusting the door on the hinge and the hinge can be adjusted at the body as well, I had the same problem and got great results with very small adjustments. Hard to from the pictures, but it looks like an issue with the door adjustment not the clam. Try moving the front edge of the door outwards.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm. i tried to loosen the screws on the door, but i cant really adjust the door at all.

and i cant reach the screws fastened to the car itself.
do i have to remove the front clam to access remove/adjust the door?

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
Yes:

1. pix can be made smaller

2. search will answer this question.

good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes:

1. pix can be made smaller

2. search will answer this question.

good luck
1. use a decent browser and they are resized automatically

2. what would you search for?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Yep. You can make adjustments by either adjusting the door, or the clam, or both.

The door has 4 bolts that hold it to the hinge. You can loosen them and make a minor adjustment, and then tighten them. Easiest way to fix this.

Otherwise you are looking at the clam and the shims. Not as easy.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Here's a helpful thread on the subject.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/door-rubbing-front-clam-help-30785/

It's good to re-visit this problem, as it happens quite a lot with our cars. Even after adjusting, it re-occurred on mine over time (four years of ownership), so one of these days, I'll have to adjust it again. Or plan B is just to let the edge of the door sand down the edge of the clam. :)

Tom

·
Registered
803 Posts
not uncommon...

You can move the clam slightly by loosening some of the attachment points. There is some play. However be very careful how hard you push on things. It is also possible to crack the mounting points, especially the one under the front lights.

I have a write up on removing the front clam on my site, which should help with which attachment points need some play.

Lotus Elise Maintenance, How to Remove the Front Clam

Michael

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts