The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have the car up on stand to change the brake pads,I think it will be good time to do the coolant too. See a lot of helpful info. here, thanks guys and gals. I found where to disconnect the hose, locate the bleed valves and engine block coolant drain plug. This is my simple/dumb question, where should I loosen the screw on the block drain plug? the brass color top screw/nut or the whole structure down to the block??

I apologize in advance for my mechanical challenge ability. On the other cars I usually drain, then fill the system with water and repeat about 5 times, and let dilution do the work without using the block drain plug. But for the elise, seemed like it is little more work, e.g. burb the air,etc. so I decided may not be a bad idea to open the block drain.

Thanks in advance for guidence/pointers.

2005 stock elise. 30k miles

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I put a piece of fuel hose on the nipple and let it hang down to a bucket, then you loosen the screw on the petcock with a 10mm wrench and screw it out a couple times. go have a beer, come back and it should be all drained from the block.

When I do flushes I like to also pull the belly pan in the front of the car and remove the raiator hoses from the tubes that run to the back of the car 1 at a time. make sure you have the cap off of the resevoir while doing all of this so all the fluid can drain.

Good luck!!

T.J.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need help in coolant change

After reading all the info and help here, I decided to change the coolant tonight. I have the car on stands, warmed it up and let it cool down, opened the radiator hoses one at a time and let it drain. Also I opened the block screw and drained out about 2 qt. there. In total I got about 8 1/2 qts. I opened the bleeder valves front and back, closed the drain plug, reconnected the hoses and filled it with water for a trial run. I use tap water on hose to fill the header tank and cannot gauge how much has gone in. My guess is about 1 gallon. It did not take long for the header tank to fill up and remain full. The rear bleeder valve started running stream of water. BUT the front bleeder valve still has no water out at all. I started the engine and let it ran for a few minutes with front valve open hoping the water will recirculate and get air out. The temp went up to about 190 and still no water out from front bleeder valve. I shut off the engine. The header tank still full after the run. What have I done wrong?? Why there is no water out from the front bleeder valve?? What have I done wrong here?? Is the engine damaged in anyway?? Please help. Thanks for guidance in advance.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Think you're good, you don't get much out of the front location (many don't use it as I understand). You have to let it sit a bit to balance it out. 190 isn't too hot at all so doubt you hurt anything.

If the tanks is full (bet its dropped some) can you get fluid out of the rear bleeder (not on the block on the hose)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts