The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people on here from California with aftermarket superchargers. How are you passing smog? If its a secret, how about PMing me? I'm interested in supercharing an Elise, but I need to pass smog.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Smog only travels at the speed of the wind, I usually pass it in second gear, but have to wash the haze off the paint afterwards.

·
Registered
742 Posts
No secrets here. I think as long as it passes the sniffer most places won't catch it. I wouldn't go in bragging that it's SC.

·
Registered
693 Posts
not sure how the aftermarket SC setups are or if the ecu retune will affect the smog but I have an OEM SC on an 06 and the smog tech didn't question it all. In fact, he questioned if he would even do the smog cause he had never done a Lotus.

Took about 15 minutes and it passed with flying colors.

I think if setup looks stock and you have the OEM headers and cat you will pass.

Most of the "visual" fails are on imports that are highly moddified and the tech immediately starts looking for modifications. In those cases, even if it passes smog, they will fail it.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I had a heck of a time smogging mine. It came in fron New England. Eventually had to install the original injectors to make it fly. The injectors that were in it were absolutely HUGE. I was told that they could have failed me just from the fact that it had the supercharger on it. If all else fails, I will reinstall OEM intake and injectors next time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same concern as Geh. Boardwalk Lotus is pricing me parts and labor for the factory kit, but I'd rather go with the katana2.

Can any CA owners with Katana2 verify or pm me if the car passes OBD2 and visuals on an otherwise stock car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts