The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How-To: Plasti Dip your badges & emblems

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BCspeed34 
#1 ·
I just bought a set of LOTUS letters for the back of my Exige, but after mounting them I realized chrome just isn't my thing. Matte black works much better for my car's color scheme.

Unfortunately I realized that 5-minutes AFTER I put on the letters. In hindsight I should have sprayed them early, but hey live and learn! That said, here is how I went about changing their color: I dipped them!

Tools needed:
1 spray can of Plasti Dip (any color you like)
Masking tape
Masking (newspaper, plastic sheets, etc.)
Toothpick

First step: Obvious. Clean the section to be sprayed. You want to make sure no wax, dirt or grease is in the area - especially not around the letters. Now make sure they have been completely dried after cleaning, residual moisture will ruin the dip!

Second step: After cleaning your area, mask off a rectangle around the letters. You don't want the edge right at the letters (you'll see why later). I like old newspaper, but use whatever you like. Good coverage means less overspray!

Third step: Shake up your can of Plasti Dip for a few minutes and put on the first coat. Keep your distance about 8-10" away, with sweeping motions. Don't go too heavy on this one, just a light spray will do. Many light coats are better than one big runny one!

Fourth step: After 10 minutes, put on your second coat. Repeat this for the third and fourth coat. Try different angles each time to maximize coverage. Again don't go too heavy, let the coats build up.

Fifth step: Allow 15-20 minutes to dry, then begin removing the masking. I like to remove all of the tape, leaving just the Plasti Dip.

Sixth step: Grab an edge of the dip and begin SLOWLY pulling it away from the body. The dip should simply pull away from the lettering, leaving them colored in. In any spot with leftover spray (like the O), use a toothpick to grab some of the dip and scrape it up.

Step seven: Admire the work you have done. That or repeat on anything else you need sprayed!

Not a very difficult thing to do, and it has been brought up before, but I figured why the hell not and made a "How-To". Hope this helps some people looking to freshen up the back of their car!

Oh and total cost of supplies: $10

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.