The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Im very curious on how the proper way is of towing an Esprit or getting it on the carrier?
Thank You in advance.
Mike.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I rented a Uhaul car carrier trailer, and it was a snap, turns out the car is not as low to the ground as it is low in the roof. I think I put long 2x8s under the wheels to ease it up on the trailer's ramps, when I loaded it, but I dont think I used them when I unloaded it. Mine is an 88 though and does have a long front splitter like some of the later Esprits do. The Esprit was light to tow on the carrier, I bought a Saab 900 Turbo once on a carrier and it was extremely front heavy and bottomed my tow vehicle almost. I dont think you'll have any problems if you are cautious and take your time.

The Uhaul trailer I had was pretty well thought out, it had a left side fender than folded over so you could open the driver's door without hitting it. I wanna say it was $89 bucks to rent this thing and return it to a different location than the renatl location, I think just the trailer was heavier than the Esprit though.

I considered a dolly, but that had me kinda thinkin twice, the trailer seemed more suiting a car like this. A dolly is for a cavalier or if you are in a pinch.

When my Esprit broke down prior to my owning it, the previous owner told me to never put it on a rollback, as the rear valance will hit, as mine did, it was cracked when I bought the car, I had to repair it.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Since most of the Esprit's weight is in the rear, you shouldn't have the car centered on the trailer. The engine should be closer to the wheels. Otherwise the trailer will wag if the weight is too far back.

Balanced kinda like this

And you need reaaaaaallllly long ramps. MUCH longer than the ones shown.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here is a few pictures of mine Mike. Some random thoughts

• Planks or blocks at ramp to reduce approach angle. Bring the blocks with you to unload it.
  • Use the driveway to cheat a bit like in Travis' pic.
  • If drivable, take it up the ramp easy with plenty of help; hard to see.
  • If not drivable, winch on by pulling on tow ring. I bought a short sling that fits thru the tow ring and clears the body work, as some of the cables and hooks on a ramp truck are way over-sized and won't easily fit.
  • Open the windows first so you can hear the screams.
  • Trailer in pic is a tilt bed; get ready for the ride when it lowers in to place.
  • Car forward on trailer as Travis mentioned. My car towed perfectly as shown.
  • Tie downs on front tires/wheels, NOT wishbones.
  • Tie down on rear to main cradle (where you jack up the rear).
  • Run straps as required / available to keep car from moving side to side or fore / aft.
  • Hand brake on and in gear.
  • Close windows, sunroof, etc. Lock car if you still have battery; it will get plenty of attention at every stop.
  • Take it easy, no rush, and check often straps are still tight, car not moving /shifting excessively.

Picture is my car at the summit of Rogers Pass in the Canadian Rockies. Got it safely thru the mountains, but was surprised how much it moved around. -eek-

HTH

Stu

Attachments

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys.
But serious.
Im driving, without a destination and Wham, I need a tow.

WHAT IS THE TOW HOLD!!!!
The windows down with a sling through both open windows?
Like I mean a Tow Truck!

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Thanks guys.
But serious.
Im driving, without a destination and Wham, I need a tow.

WHAT IS THE TOW HOLD!!!!
The windows down with a sling through both open windows?
Like I mean a Tow Truck!
You call a flat bed tow truck. They're smart enough to get it onto the truck.

San

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You call a flat bed tow truck. They're smart enough to get it onto the truck.

San
When my transmission went the tow guys AAA sent didn't know $h!t from Shineola about getting my car on the truck.

They wanted to place the hooks on the front control arms, and did not have boards to ease the grade :facepalm

You need to put straps through the inner subframe down near where the control arms bolt up. Place the hooks into the straps and winch the car up on the bed.

On the rear is a 'hoop' by the transmission or at least on my car, connect to that and tie it down. It's not rocket science, just need to use caution, common sense and care.

Robert

·
Registered
29 Posts
Once on the tow deck most have recessed strapping pin where they can use tire wrap strap ratchets to secure the car.

Lotus does list a tow eye and the attachment points for the early Stevens cars in the parts manual. You need to get a copy of the parts manual.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've towed my 99 V8 Esprit about 6 times in the past few years (long story), but - Yes, flatbed is the only way to go. You can often tell them the car is very low and to bring some planks or boards (many carry them anyway).

It takes some jockeying of the ramp to get it on without scraping, but it is indeed possible. Nose first. A little lip scraping can be unavoidable though if they have a shorter bed and no planks. They can use the winch and the front tow hook ( if you have it) to get it on. Better than driving it since it is a slow and steady process.

Once on and in place, most flatbeds have tire straps that ratchet down to hold the car in place. Often I'll put towels or blankets on the rims so that the straps or buckles don't scratch.

Hopefully you won't need this info too often!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The most important thing is to NOT pull on ANY suspension part like the sway bar, lower control arms, etc. They are not made for that and will BEND! If there is no tow hook the tower must attach to the frame. Same advice to secure the car to the tow truck once it is on.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts